ICH treatment... :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

koldsoup

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Real Name
Kevin
So I was careless and ich somehow got into my tank. It houses albino cories, bristlenose plecos, few endlers, a betta, and a few angels. Certainly overstocked at the moment... Anyway, I plan to do 40% water change every day, bump the temperature up to 85, and add 1 tablespoon of table salt per 5 gallons every day. Will this be okay or should I add less salt? I read that catfish get irritated easily by salt. Thanks.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Since you have corys and plecos, one of the Ich cures would be better than salt. Cory's don't tolerate salt. They can deal with higher temperatures to speed up the life cycle of the parasite.
Go for something like Rid Ich or Nox Ich.
Both contain formalin and malachite green.

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Just remember if you are going to use salt and high temps than make sure you add some more aeration, like power-heads, or if you have an extra hob filter, that would be great. The heat AND salt make it harder for the fish to breath. There are so many effective ich meds nowadays, you shouldn't have any problems choosing one. Good Luck! :)

Sorry...there are some meds that will hurt the plants, so make sure to thoroughly read the instructions!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store