Routine water changes needed when params' ok??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Hello

In 2 of my tanks I have a male betta (ea) and even though the water parameters test ok (no ammonia, no nitrite, less than 20 nitrate) their fins are a little shreddy looking.

As for the specific males, one has been fighting fin rot since I bought him at walmart over a year ago, but up till somewhat recently I thought that for the first time I might get to see his fins in full glory, but then the ends started 'shredding' again. :( (There is no red on the ends.)
The other boy, well, he got himself eaten a while back (pics in photo album, labeled in various stages of 'Cheeto eaten'), so it could just be his fins are still growing back. Or not?

I'm just wondering, as long as the water parameters are regeristing at 0 ammonia and nitrite and not too many nitrates, do I need to do a water change?
Or could skipping changes have anything to do with fin rot even with alright params'?

Normally I change some water every week, sometimes 2x, but sometimes it doesn't get changed for a few weeks - like this last time- but everything (that I've got tests for) is testing ok without the water change, so I'm just very curious.
Thanks!
:)

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Agree. Keep doing water changes regularly.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i also agree. regular water changes not only keep your nitrate levels down, they also remove TDS (total dissolved solids) and DOC (dissolved organic compounds). build up of these two things can cause your tank to go downhill or even crash.

Mabuhay

Neophyte
Jul 16, 2011
The land of cheese!
Real Name
Danielle
Yes, keep up with the water changes especially with those shredded fins trying to heal! Hope they make a full recovery soon.

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
how often do you think?

more often while their fins heal?

Thanks! :)

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
30-50% 2x week should be good while they heal and then try 1x a week. Doing it weekly helps to maintain a healthy system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store