Stray voltage in tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Got a tester today to check for stray voltage in tank. I got a small reading so I started to unplug my equipment to find the source. I ended up unplugging everything and still got the needle to jump. Anybody got any electrical knowledge that can tell me why? I also tested another tank with the same results. I set the tester to ACV 10 put the black probe in the round ground hole of my power strip and the red probe in the tank water. Is this the correct way and if so why did I get a reading with everything unplugged? :help:

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
That is strange. I have some electrical knowledge (from being related to 2 electricians and working with an electronics teacher). I dont know how to measure voltage in a fish tank. What is the setting on the meter? (where is the decimal place) There is almost always voltage randomly jumping around when I have my meter on ac low input. Is this a salt water tank? I know that freshwater doesnt carry a charge well, but it is still possible for it to happen. I would have guessed that you would place both probes in the tank. if everything is unplugged the tank probably isnt grounded well to the same ground source that is running your power strip.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
+1^

It makes sense more if its SW, but not as much for FW, but i would think that it has something to do with the grounding.......but don't trust me, i just do a lot of stuff with my dad related to tihs...............(im 14):)

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
That is strange. I have some electrical knowledge (from being related to 2 electricians and working with an electronics teacher). I dont know how to measure voltage in a fish tank. What is the setting on the meter? (where is the decimal place) There is almost always voltage randomly jumping around when I have my meter on ac low input. Is this a salt water tank? I know that freshwater doesnt carry a charge well, but it is still possible for it to happen. I would have guessed that you would place both probes in the tank. if everything is unplugged the tank probably isnt grounded well to the same ground source that is running your power strip.
Setting is ACV 10 no decimal. Freshwater tank. Like I said I unplugged everything and still got the needle to jump. I also tested another tank with the same results. It makes no sence that I got a reading with everything unplugged.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
acidic liquids are known to carry and create voltage. furthermore biological processes do so as well. it's not the voltage that kills, it's the current.

so your tank should be expected to create it's own electricity and unless you're producing nearly an entire amp somehow, i wouldn't worry to much about it.

pick a fruit... go to google... type in it's name a space and the word voltage and hit enter then click on images. chances are you'll find plenty of pics of said fruit with two probes stuck into it reading a voltage on a volt meter.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
acidic liquids are known to carry and create voltage. furthermore biological processes do so as well. it's not the voltage that kills, it's the current.
+1, I didnt even think about that while I was posting. But its true, people can get hit with a decent amount of voltage and not die, but if you get hit with a decent amount of amperage (even at low voltages) it can kill you.

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
Your bacteria and your fish are creating a small amount of voltage. It is just like your own body. Our bodies create a ton of voltage. Since fish and bacteria are living under water, it is spread evenly throughout the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store