Too Much Flow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

firstdon

AC Members
Apr 13, 2005
Queens, New York
Hi guys

I have a 26 gallon Nano FOWLR with 30Ibs of live and dead rock with 2 ocellaris clowns.
I have a aquaclear 50 Powerhead (250gph) on one end of the tank and a Koralia Nano (240gph) on the other end of the tank.

Sometimes I notice the clowns get pushed around by the current. Do they like this? Will this harm them? Do I have too much flow for these fish?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
No way that is too much flow but you may need to reposition them. IMO you need more (and wider) flow in the tank especially if you are not running a skimmer and only relying on water changes. Not that you must have a skimmer but because if anything more flow will benefit the gas exchange in the tank and suspend detritus so that AC can catch it. I would look at something like Maxi-jet Pro 600 or 900 or a larger koralia or tunze. A single MP-10 would probably be perfect but gonna be a bit more $. A Tunze 6015 or maybe an adjustable speed 6045 would be good too.

Fish like flow just like corals do but not necessarily focused jets of water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store