What are these red worms?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rollinghills

Registered Member
Aug 16, 2011
I found few of these red worms after vacuuming the substrate. The are about half to one inch long and the width of a hair. Are these parasites or are they harmless? Thanks. I cut one of them in two and both parts were still alive! Did kill them within some salt though. I haven't fed any live food to my fish. I do have a lot of similar looking smaller (about half a centimeter) but white worms in the tank though and my fish love to eat those.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited:

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
I am 90% certain I know what those are. Could not tell you a name, but I know that they are harmless. Fish should feed off those if they can find them. Do not worry, they will not hurt anything.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
check your fish around their anuses to see if there are any red 'threads' sticking out. if so, you have a camallanus worm infestation in your tank.

rollinghills

Registered Member
Aug 16, 2011
Fortunately I didn't see any worms on any of the fish. Could they be the adult version of the white worms?

plantedtank12

Sign the Petition!!
May 6, 2011
York SC
Real Name
Nathan
^
That is possible, however, I have never seen any white worms much less red worms in a tank with any type of fish...They're probably harmless though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store