Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Bill Brissette
    Last Activity
    12-09-2014 2:52 PM
    it's been a while since I posted an update so I thought I'd share some more observations.

I've started seeing more and more baby crabs, and seem to see 3 distinct sizes. I rarely see very many at a time, but I see them in so many locations that I think there must be quite a few hiding in the tunnels and burrows they've created in the HC and cork. The larger babies maintain decent size tunnels through the island, between the plant layer and the substrate it's rooted in. Yesterday I observed a smaller crab than I had previously seen, about the size of an adult Hydei fruit fly. At this size they are very dark, and are really only visible when they move under a flashlight. The largest babies, by contrast, are 3 times larger, but still not half the size of their parents, and have a lighter, mottled orange coloration, and bright red claw tips, which are fine like the thinnest sewing needles.

They are fast, often completely dissapearing from an open site when I look away for a second. They can jump a little, and sometimes act like they've just pounced on something, although they are very aware of my pressence and don't seem to move as much when I am close to the tank. The larger babies are now just large enough to observe from further away though, so it makes sneaking up for a close up a little easier. Larger babies are even sometimes seen walking on the side glass when it is wet, using condensation to stick their abdomen to the glass, and their legs to drag them around.

I've also been tweaking the temperature, air flow, and humidity a bit to try and clear the glass for better viewing. I had found that I have constant, complete coverage of the glass with condensation, even with 2 fans running on low and an airpump pushing fresh air into the tank. After trying a few things, I decided to drop the water temperature by 1.5 to the 74.5 range. The air temperature maintains around 77. I also reduced the flow to the drip lines to a trickle, and have been misting every now and then. What I've found is that the lower water temp and reduced drip allow all the glass to stay clear if I run the fans and air pump 24/7. For the last 2 days I've had the airpump on the light timer, fans on 24/7, and it was not quite enough to keep the side panes clear. So, I'll be returning to fresh air 24/7.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-09-2014 4:36 PM
    bill!

i've been meaning to ask you - did you ever notice in the beginning, 1 male dominating the rest of the tank? i have 1 male full grown, and 2 other males that's probably at least 2 molts behind. the 1 male just ever so slowly walks towards the others and they all scram!

also, i've noticed occasional aggression between a few of them. i can't keep track if it's the same one or two but, i've seen them grab each other fiercly.. one usually dominates the other while the weaker one is tapped out. but usually, the stronger one let's go in a few seconds... any observations to this kind of behavior?

lastly, i think i finally see 1 of my female with a protruding stomach! any suggestions if i should separate her now?

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Bill Brissette
    Last Activity
    agression seems normal, especially if you only have one female.

I see no reason to separate the females. I don't. As long as they have adequate hiding spots, they should be fine.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    09-23-2014 2:08 PM
    Fascinating to watch and their colors are amazing. They look like they could give you big attitude.
    " Um, you know, you have duckweed on your elbow..."

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Bill Brissette
    Last Activity

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    01-16-2013 7:44 PM
    Pretty cool!
    40g Breeder : Carnivorous Plants
    55g Terrarium :Carnivorous Plants CP Growlist
    2.5g : Betta
    1.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    0.2.0 Paroedura picta

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Seth
    Last Activity
    12-17-2014 4:54 PM
    Really cool stuff Mellow! Are the adults cannibalistic at all when it comes to the tiny offspring running around?
    AC Herp Club

Baby Crested Geckos - $40 each + Shipping
    Juvenile Leopard Geckos - $25 each + Shipping
    Juvenile Captive Bred & Born Electric Blue Geckos - $100 each + Shipping

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Bill Brissette
    Last Activity
    Thanks!

Nope, the adults sometimes run smaller crabs off, but don't seem interested in eating them.

Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    09-20-2012 10:59 AM
    great article and I love your site! I am trying to establish a colony of these myself, they are currently housed in a 29 gallon ex-dart frog enclosure until i build out my 40 breeder. i will be looking for back copies of the TFH issues with your build in it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information