Geosesarma observations

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
Seems like several times a week, I find myself in awe of my tiny crabs, but since most instances of craziness are too fast for a camera, I never really post anything. This isn't going to become a crazy photo thread, instead, I think I'm just going to post some observations as they happen. I've really been enjoying keeping my Red Devil crabs, they are really fun and seemingly intelligent to the point where they've almost become cartoon like in their actions and appearance. There is no doubt in my mind that they recognize me, and know I'm alright. They will take food from my hands without attacking, and will let me help them when they're in trouble. For instance, today one fell from a plant, landing half in the water and half on my hand. It allowed me to lift it to land, without panic.

But it was what I just watched that really surprised me, and got me to start this thread...

I just fed the crabs dusted fruit flies.
I'm about to shut the lid
and out of nowhere RUNS up this TINY baby crab
smaller than a thai microcrab
like the size of a tiny spider or large tick
and it grabs a fruit fly like a hot dog, and keeps moving, trying to get a cricket! then, the fruit fly starts kicking a little bit, and the crab reaches over with the other claw and pulls an eye off! it was SO awesome.

crazy how young they take flies at
I mean, the fly was almost half his size.

I figured they were still on smaller fare. Not sure how many babies I have, but about a week ago I counted 5 on one occasion.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Wow, so you've already bred them? Amazing! I imagine they love the (now famous) palu you set up for them.

What a neat thread, about observations. Threads don't need to be all about pics. Although...I know I wouldn't mind a few ;)

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Cool! Got any pics, or better yet vids?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store