Quarantining wild stock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
How do you quarantine wild fishes? I usually quarantine using bare bottom tanks but have no clue in quarantining wild fishes. I'm pretty sure it's the same but wouldn't it stress the fish more being in a bare bottom tank compare to a established tank with sand and whatnot. Also, I quarantine fish for at least a month.
They will be the first fishes added to the tank. I just don't want to put them in and have to start all over on the tank if they bring something along with them. Importer is going to quarantine before I get them and I would also like to quarantine just in case but would like your opinions.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I've never heard of someone getting wild fish, but I guess I've also never kept exotic fish that need to be caught. What kind of fish do you have?

I think that the keeping the quarantine tank bare makes it so much easier to clean, and that's gonna be the way I think you want to go. Just be sure to put something in there for the fish to hide.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I've never heard of someone getting wild fish, but I guess I've also never kept exotic fish that need to be caught. What kind of fish do you have?

I think that the keeping the quarantine tank bare makes it so much easier to clean, and that's gonna be the way I think you want to go. Just be sure to put something in there for the fish to hide.
I don't have them yet. They were suppose to come in but did not so I have to wait next week to see if he can get them. I am getting gastromyzon and sewellia loaches.

if you can 2 months. how long is the imported qting them before shipping?
One is going to qt for 2 or 3 weeks and other is going for a month then I plan to quarantine myself for at least a month or more.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Sounds like a plan! 1 month should be plenty of time. Good luck!

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Forgot to ask: when you get the fish, send us some pictures!

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I think I'll just put them in a barebottom tank with hiding spots, rocks, and a powerhead for a month and see if any die or have something. Thanks and I'll post the pictures in the loach section, since i have a thread there, once I get them.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Just a thought
I keep wild Angels.. more recently I received some P. altum

I keep the fish in water that closely approximates the natural habitat. in my case low pH(below 6) I run a UV filter and s do daily water changes of at least 10%.
I am also treating the fish with Furan 2 and anti parasite meds.. they have been in QT for close to a month and will remain there until all treatment is completed and they can be acclimated to water close to my source.
I currently use RO and age the water with Catappa leaves (indian almond)

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
Just because you have never heard of it before doesn't mean it isn't happened down the line. Many fish are difficult to breed in captivity so they are all wild caught. Just because petsmart sells them doesn't mean they just breed them out back, they all get shipped in from breeders or importers. Importers get them from the wild. Believe it a or many of us have had wild fish without even knowing it. I might be wrong about this but I believe most neon and cardinal tetras are wild caught.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Just a thought
I keep wild Angels.. more recently I received some P. altum

I keep the fish in water that closely approximates the natural habitat. in my case low pH(below 6) I run a UV filter and s do daily water changes of at least 10%.
I am also treating the fish with Furan 2 and anti parasite meds.. they have been in QT for close to a month and will remain there until all treatment is completed and they can be acclimated to water close to my source.
I currently use RO and age the water with Catappa leaves (indian almond)
Yea the thing is I hate medicating anything that doesn't look like it needs it. I plan to wait and see if they bring any disease or parasites before treating. They're going to be in qt for at least a month. I might treat for parasites just in case since it is a little hard to tell if they have it or not until it's too late. I'm just worried about that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store