Changed personality on my pearl gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MichiganMan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2008
I've got a male pearl as the centerpiece fish in my 30g high planted tank. Tankmates are 3 fancy guppies (male), 3 neons (started with more, probably my first and last time with neons...), 6 peppered corys and a zillion cherry shrimp and ramshorn snails.

Nothing has changed in this tank since the pearl was added.

When I first got him, he was very active, swam around the whole tank, was pretty much ruler of the roost. This lasted for a couple of months. In the past 2 weeks, he has been Mr. Invisible, constantly hiding in the plants, stuffs himself back in the corner behind the heater, etc. Never see him at all.

I'm wondering if this is normal, just a phase, or if there is something I can do to address the issue.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Mine has done the same. No idea why other than it started when we were in the process of netting and rehoming some tankmates. Due to the plants and driftwood, it took quite a bit longer than expected. Seemed to tramatize him a bit. He still comes out at feeding, and if you sit still in the room and just watch the tank he will venture forth. And sudden movement though and he's darting back into cover.

Looks gorgeous though.

MichiganMan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2008
Exactly what my guy is doing. Now that I think about it, he started acting wonky after a water change, but he'd been through them before. Hmmm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store