Amano Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Seems like the shrimp won't do well if the tank water is above 84 degrees. Here's a quote on them from floridadriftwood.com :

" Detailed Description

Popular in planted aquaria, these attractive shrimp can grow up to 2 in length. They are usually approx an inch in length when sold. They are well known for their love of soft, thread-like hair algae.
The Caridina japonica is not a tropical species and should not be kept for extended periods above 84 Degrees F. [Picture] They are very long-lived if their aquarium's water quality is maintained. We've kept a couple for 3 years now and they are still with us though YMMV. They should not be introduced to an aquarium if it is likely to experience Ammonia or Nitrite spikes, so introduce them only to an established aquarium. They will go to great lengths to snatch fish food if their tank mates will let them and they will eat less hair algae if they are well-fed.

If your aquarium is filled with water to the rim, be sure to cover it b/c unlike other shrimp, they will crawl out if given the chance.
"

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Why would raise the temp over 78F?
The only reason would be to treat ick, and the salt method would be the only way, ick meds would kill amano shrimp. I would think that treating ick would be ok, I've done it in my planted tank before and didn't lose a single shrimp.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
My tank averages around 85 degrees for my Discus. They need the water that warm... I don't know if I should risk buying these shrimp.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
No captive live creature should be subjected to the "buy them, see if they live. /shrug" sort of attitude. That really offends me. This or any other pet board does not need that sort of attitude.

zin

AC Members
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
:shake:
I apologize for that, i definitly wasnt thinking when i wrote that, and i wouldnt do that myself...

Anyway i decided to search around and have about 10 sources that basically say anything over 80 is deadly to amano shrimp.

so definitly do not put them in and see what happens :\

:argh:

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
I feel awful, I had some disappear and I had no idea why- I had never read that they would crawl out of the tank.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I have 2 amanos (one died from medications) in my discus tank and the temperature averages around 86-87F. They seem to be doing all right.

My brother has ghosts in with his discus at a temperature between 84-86 and they are doing very well.

*edit: typos

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store