HELP!!!! I am losing lots of fish!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gustavo85

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Puerto Rico
Alright, here's the deal. I can't get a good picture of the fish but I will explain it as best as I can.

Here we go: I've lost a couple of fish now and I'm really worried. The SYMPTOMS are: NEAR the anal fin the skin starts opening, the you see something red with a hairy APPEARANCE. The fish get skinny and they die.

It all began with a big fight two rainbow fishes had, one got messed up pretty bad and got infected with something (because of the open skin). It appears that livebearers are even more susceptible to it.

Is it a bacteria? A parasite? WHAT?! What should I use in the tank?!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!:cry:

gustavo85

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Puerto Rico
I think I found what they have!!! Camallanus cotti and Camallanus lacustris...HOW DO I TREAT THIS????

PS: It's a 75 Gallon tank with live plants!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
That's sure what it sounds like. There are several threads about this awful parasite, and there is a very good treatment for it, though I've never had to deal with this. I'm sure that someone will check in and offer help with this issue; lots of people, unfortunately, have had to deal with this issue. There are two medications I've seen suggested in threads dealing with Camallanus. I copied and pasted this from this article at the top of this forum dealing wiith disease and illness. Here's the link.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?135493-List-of-Treatments-and-Contraindications

There's a lot of good information here regarding treatments for a wide variety of issues.

Here's an exerpt from that link:

Levamisole hydrochloride
Diseases:
roundworms, lungworms, nematodes, nodular worms, hookworms, stomach worms

Not effective against flukes, flatworms and tapeworms as experimented by Chefkeith.
Contraindications:
This is often used in cattles however it has proven itself effective in fish as well. It is used as a defense mechanism against parasites found among wild-caught fish particularly loaches.

Levamisole hydrochloride has been found labelled in other names and is also found as an ingredient in some medications. It is light-sensitive and should be stored in a cool and dark place. It is worth noting that it is also found as Levasole.

For more information and treatment recommendations, you can proceed to this thread. Liv2padl has some great recommendations on this.

Hi,
I am Charles Harrison, aka, Inkmaker
I just read through your dos and don'ts list on Fish Diseases and wanted to add something to your list of Meds. I have Flubendazole 10% and have it here in St Louis, MO. I also have ample supply of Levamisole which has been removed from the Vet market due to its newly discovered use in treating Human cancer.

Regards,
Charles@inkmkr.com

Here's the other medicaton mentioned.

Fenbendazole
Also registers as methyl-5- benzol-benaimidizole-2-carbamate.

Not a lot of elaboration on Fenbendazole, but I know people have used both of these. I'm sure someone with experience in treating Camallanus will stop by and help out with this.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Email the guy in my post above. He has been very helpful to members here, providing a source for the first med I mentioned, which is the best one, so I've read here on AC. Here's his email: Charles@inkmkr.com
The other med is in dog wormer medicine, and can be had from feed stores, I think, or your vet. I hope this helps.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Fenbendazole is the active ingredient in dog wormer medicines Panacur and Safeguard 4, which can be found at most big chain pet stores. According to some fish experts it's more reliable than Levamisole and it worked for me in the dosage recommended by Ed. Noga is his book on fish disease.

Panacur comes in a set of three 1 gram packets. I divided 1 gram into ten equal amounts and used 1/10 gram for a 20 gallon tank by mixing it in a jar with some water first and soaking some bloodworms at the same time. Do a water change, remove any active carbon, then dump the entire contents in. Soak more food in a another mixture for the next feeding, but don't add any more medication to the tank for 3 or 4 days. After that, do a large water change then repeat this treatment in two or three weeks time to make sure it's eradicated. This is important. In between treatments I did see some nematodes but they were completely gone by the end of 2nd round. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store