New 40 Gallon Breeder Tang Community Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Duke79

AC Members
Aug 28, 2010
I decided to setup a Tang Community Tank. After doing some research which included reading many of the threads in this section of the forum I purchased a 40 gallon breeder aquarium that would fit nicely in my office. My stock list includes Altolamprologus sp. "Compressiceps Shell" Sumbu Dwarf, 'Lamprologus' multifasciatus, and Julidochromis transcriptus Bombi. I'll start out with 12 Sumbu Dwarf with the intent of getting a quad from the group and 8 Julies with the intent to get one pair. I have a trio of Multies and hope that I can get a colony from them (these were purchased from DrgRcr and look great).

Here are some photos of my setup.

This is the tank with the right side setup for the Sumbu Dwarf including rocks and shells.

This is a detail photo of the left side of the tank.

I planned to put a shell bed in the middle of the tank for the multies to call home.

Here is the shell bed in place. The primary shells are escargot and turbo with a few whale eyes placed for variety.

Another photo of the shell bed.

The right side of the tank will be aquascaped with more rocks (hopefully the Julies will end up on this side of the tank).

The tank looked like this when the Sumbu Shell and Multies were placed in the tank.

Now for the fish. I'm not a good photographer so the fish look much better than these photos. Here are a couple photos of the Sumbu Shell.

The Multies are settling into the shell bed although the male decided to explore the rocks on the right side of the tank. Thanks DrgRcr!

And one of the females exploring the shell bed.

I got the Julies today and set up the right side of the tank for them. But I'm not sure these fish are going to follow my plan for them. They seem to like the left side of the tank with the Sumbu Shell. I didn't have time for photos today at the office, but will try to get some more photos next week.

Thanks for all the help you guys have provided! Hopefully I've made some good decisions in putting this community tank together.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
Man, I miss my multis. had 5 or 6 tanks a long time ago chuck full of the little buggers. Small in stature. Tons of personality. Nice set up. I like it.

Duke79

AC Members
Aug 28, 2010
Thank you for the kind comments.

I have the tank close enough to my desk that I can observe the fish while still looking like I am working. It doesn't get much better than this ...

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Lots of rockwork on the right side will convince the Julies to move over, in theory. I would definitely add more anyways as once they set up a territory (IME) they can get nasty when it comes to defending it, especially if/when they kick into breeding mode.

Also, don't be surprised if any plants start getting buried once the multis start their digging.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store