55 gallon build/journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
im getting my 55 gallon tank this sunday. FINALLY!!!
so here's what im doing for stock
fish;
10-medium tetras(bleeding hearts, blood fin tetras, white finned rosy tetra, maybe hatchet fish)
3-green bristlenose plecos(1-longfin, 2-short fin)
1-angelfish(hopefully long fin)
1-blood parrot
plants;
im thinking mostly anubius, hygro, anachris, maybe a crypt since they have a big root system.
scape;
LOTS of driftwood for sure. ill also have either river rocks or sandstone. i just cant decide which.
filteration;
tetra 30-60(seeded)
aquaclear 50 OR 70
i cant decide if i want a solid black background or one of those black backgrounds with driftwood comming down, but might do blue if i end up getting a black angelfish.
only question so far- how do blood parrots due with plants?

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
sounds good. just i would lost the Blood parrot and replace with a small ca/sa cichlid. try maybe some rams? BPs need a bigger tank then a 55 ( or so i hear/read ) but otherwise it looks good.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
it depends on how big the blood parrot gets. most people suggest 55's for a minimum, but for the few giants out there it's safer to go to a 75, and if i need to i will upgrade. keep in mind blood parrots are very slow growers.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
i had one that got to about 8 incehs easily under 10 months... but i still would do rams over BPs. better for stocking wise

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ive got the BP, and id take him back but i dont know where the receipt went and dont want him stuffed into a 10 gallon.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
so a little off topic, but not too off topic.
my cutteri are spawning
or atleast i think so. the female rarely comes out of her cave she and her mate built, and now everytime i put my hand in the tank my male bites me!! then if you are just outside of the tank he watches you like a halk so i should have some babies soon, but i hope i have time to reeal my 29 so the 20 can be my fry tank. wish me luck!!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Sounds good. Go with the solid background. It looks so much better with plants! Your fish will really pop too. A little worried about your filtration. Your not heavily stocked so you may be OK. Just watch your paramters. Any way you could get the 110 instead of the 70?

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
^^^ +1 or go with 2 AC70's... And if you aren't already... Order on amazon... It's about 50$ cheaper new there then it is new at petsmart.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
getting the tank tomorrow or monday. still trying to figure out what kind of angel i want and what kind of dithers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store