to all you cichlid experts out there (pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

m8r8j

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
alright guys just finished setting up my 29 gallon tank (30x18x12) and im gonna stock it with a breeding pair of convicts and a bn or rubber lip pleco! (yes i know this is the minimum tank for a pair of convicts, but is adding a pleco pushing it?)

i have a fluval 205, a fluval m150 heater, and a 2 bulb t5 fixture.

(i added cycled media into the filter)

its got a bunch of driftwood in it also.

so i was reading up on doing the convicts, and i was at petsmart tonight and hey were on sale, so i bought 5 of them (i was reading you buy 5-6 and wait for 2 to pair off)

now heres all my questions:

1. how long will they be a pair for? life?
2. how many times will they spawn?
3. how do i go about getting the rest of the convicts out without stressing out the pair once they do pair up?
4. can i leave the other 3 in once the 2 pair?
5. do i have to do anything special for them to lay eggs? (like a flat rock?)
6. does it stress them out if im in there scooping out their babies? hahah

i think thats about it for now, but heres a pic of my tank (a little cloudy still from adding the black sand tonight)

photomlm.jpg

photomlm.jpg

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
I have the same heater and it looks like you have it too far in the water!!! Unplug it and move it up. There is a max and minimum water line.

m8r8j

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
nah its actually fully submersible.. ive read many threads on it, look up fluval m series fully submersible.

apparently it was a mistake from the favtory

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
nah its actually fully submersible.. ive read many threads on it, look up fluval m series fully submersible.

apparently it was a mistake from the favtory
Cool I did not know that. I checked and you are correct. Sorry about that.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
personally id put the driftwood in a corner the tallest in the back slanting down itd make a more dramatic effect. why exactly are you doing convicts? its VERY hard to GIVE the fry away. you could do a pair of angelfish in that size tank and you would actually be able to sell themm but if you like the convicts thats cool too.

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
alright guys just finished setting up my 29 gallon tank (30x18x12) and im gonna stock it with a breeding pair of convicts and a bn or rubber lip pleco! (yes i know this is the minimum tank for a pair of convicts, but is adding a pleco pushing it?)

I would leave out the plec. Mating convicts will harass it unmercifully , or kill it.

i have a fluval 205, a fluval m150 heater, and a 2 bulb t5 fixture.

Just wondering why so much light? Are you planning on adding plants? (Convicts chew & dig)

(i added cycled media into the filter)

its got a bunch of driftwood in it also.

so i was reading up on doing the convicts, and i was at petsmart tonight and hey were on sale, so i bought 5 of them (i was reading you buy 5-6 and wait for 2 to pair off)

now heres all my questions:

This I'm not sure.
Once they start, every couple of weeks.
3. how do i go about getting the rest of the convicts out without stressing out the pair once they do pair up?
Everybody else will be huddled on the other side of the tank. You can put a temporary divider between so you can take out the others.
Probably not.
No.

They will try to protect their babies by signaling them to hide. And then they will go after You!

i think thats about it for now, but heres a pic of my tank (a little cloudy still from adding the black sand tonight)

View attachment 184530
The tank looks a little stark. They may prefer a bit more cover. Or just rearrange things on you. Personally I would add a black background, but the tank looks good to start.
Also make sure that you have a male & female mating. I have seen two females hook up & one lays eggs(not fertile).
Their behavoirs can be very interesting. Good luck & have fun!

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
is adding a pleco pushing it?
depends on your cons, but they could end up beating it to death once they start spawning

Now heres all my questions:

Yes and no. Depends on if the male ends the females life early
Too many to count. They can live 10+ years and spawn every few weeks.
Very carefully ;) Just pay attention to who is who and net them out. no biggie
No, well yeah you could technically, but the outcome won't be good.
They actually prefer caves. They will lay on the top of them for the most part
Maybe a little. Usually, I would wait until I could tell the parents wanted them out of the tank and I would siphon them into a bucket.

Have a 10 gallon "time out tank" for the female. There are a lot of times that the male will be ready to go again the not the female. The result is usually he will beat the crack out of her and may even kill her. Kind of depends on the their personality, but always something you will have to be aware of.

m8r8j

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
two are working together to defend the spot under the big wood but how long should i wait before i take the rest out?? id really like to try to leave them all in

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
how big are they?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store