Goldfish deaths

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
I need help!

My two goldfish are almost dead/dead now :( I have absoloutly no idea why. Here are the tank specs:
29 gallon Glass, housing 4 2-3" Doublefin Fancy goldfish
1 inch of flourite Gravel
Some live plants for cover, as well as a rock.
A gaint aquaclear filter up to 30 gallons w/ sponge and carbon
I feed them on a regular basis of goldfish food.
All levels are great.

To give you a background, these goldfish have been fine for almost 3 years in the tank, and I haven't done anything different. My dad, without asking last night, did a small water change of about a gallon, cleaned some of the algae off the glass, and added tapwater back into the tank. He also says he added 8 drops of some water de chlorinizer (sp?). The other goldfish are acting as if nothing happened? I did notice that one had scales missing and part of his tail missing, and the other one had a small bump on his tail. They haven't had any of this before! This would have happened within 30 minutes.

Any ideas on the death? :( These have been here for 3 years, and the other two are doing fine! (The two goldfish that are almost dead have been great the past years, and yesterday afternoon nothing was going on?

Thanks,
PH

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I wish I could help you except that I haven't a clue. It appears to have been triggered by the water change. Was the added water at room temperature? You mention "all levels are great." What exactly did you test for?

These fish seem pretty small (2-3") for 3 year goldfish.

Sorry about your fish.:(

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
I don't know. The only thing I noticed about your post was that your tank is a 29-gal, and you've got an AquaClear on there "good up to 30 gallons." That's not much of a margin for filtering, especially in a goldfish tank. I love AquaClears, and use one myself. But I use one rated quite a bit higher than the tank I've got it on. I don't know that this would have caused the fish deaths, though, especially after three years.

Your dad must feel awful!

-- Pat

AnthonyNYC

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
NYC
www.rx7s.com
Re: I need help!

Originally posted by Pineapple House
. My dad, without asking last night, did a small water change of about a gallon, cleaned some of the algae off the glass, and added tapwater back into the tank. He also says he added 8 drops of some water de chlorinizer (sp?).

Thanks,
PH
What did your dad use to clean the algae off the glass? Did he use his hands or some sort of cloth or something?

Maybe it was the 8 drops of chlorinizer? What exactly did he add?

If your dad is a "fish guy" then don't bother asking these questions. If he is NOT then I would ask him.

Maybe there were chemicals on his hand, maybe he used a cloth that had chemicals etc....

Just some ideas...

Anthony

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store