letter hanging box and mesh window screening

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I have 2 19 liter "letter hanging boxes" which I would like to use as temporary tanks for my bettas; just wondering if you all think they would be safe?

also have some mesh window screening which I was planning to use for tank dividers- is that safe? from what I know, it should be, but dont want to accidentally kill anyone!

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
I can't speak for the "letter hanging boxes" but like jpappy said, it shouldn't be a problem as long as is holds water.

I use mesh window screening a lot to make egg traps, breeder nets, dividers, I've used it in filters, I've even used it to make screen lids for a couple of 10g tanks all with no ill effects to the inhabitants (fish & inverts). The kind I use is fiberglass screening that you can pick up @ any big box store. As long as it's not aluminum or metal screening then it shouldn't be a problem.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i assume you mean something like this, but acrylic...
41rw7KLn5FL._SS500_.jpg

if so, that should be safe.

the window screening should be no problem, either. the one thing i would do is run it under the spigot in your sink to make sure you don't get a milky film or bubbles that run off from the screening before you use it. if you do, just look for another brand or in another store and be sure to use fiberglass screening only. nylon typically is not acceptable nor is steel screen.

41rw7KLn5FL._SS500_.jpg

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
yep, it looks very similar to the one Jpappy pictured, but clear acrylic. probably keep my little rescue goldfish in there (daily 100% water changes, large air stone, small feedings with uneaten food/waste removed several minutes later) until I can get a 30g for him (probably going to be getting it sometime this weekend).

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
if he's small enough and you can keep the water params in line, why not.

to be honest, i wasn't thinking something to be used as a specimen container. doh!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
he's just a little thing, and the 50% waterchanges in his 10g arent controlling ammonia as well as I'd like. it'll be easier if I can just do 100% water changes 1-2 times a day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store