40 ppm nitrAtes still after 20% weekly water changes. help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
our well water already has 20 ppm nitrAtes straight from the tap. after one week, tanks have 40-80 ppm(they look like the same color on my chart) after the 20% wc, it tests at 40 ppm+ still. idk how im gonna make any headway by putting nitrAte water back in. any suggestions besides using live plants? im a plant killer:(

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Not much else to do except live plants. Even after large water changes your nitrates will still be at 20 or above because of your tap water. Maybe a deep sand bed for anaerobic conditions but IDK much about that.

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
I use Prime.

Works like a charm!

Not sure how it will effect the plants, but if its the fish you are worried about(you should be anyways) then use Prime. Best Amonia/Nitrate lower-er.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
our well water already has 20 ppm nitrAtes straight from the tap. after one week, tanks have 40-80 ppm(they look like the same color on my chart) after the 20% wc, it tests at 40 ppm+ still. idk how im gonna make any headway by putting nitrAte water back in. any suggestions besides using live plants? im a plant killer:(
everything sounds fine to me. if it bothers you that much do an extra water change from time to time. the ranges you're listing shouldn't be of any serious concern.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
everything sounds fine to me. if it bothers you that much do an extra water change from time to time. the ranges you're listing shouldn't be of any serious concern.
Agreed. You could increase the percentage you do on each change. You will still be adding 20ppm back, but taking more out.
I have a tank that I'm doing 50% every 3 days to keep the Nitrates down. They are ~80-120 every three days or so. I really didn't think it would be overstocked, but I have an P. E. endlicheri that drops things I swear a cat was in my tank.

The second one there might be a bit extreme for this situation, but I've seen that and kind of curious about it. I may have to try it at some point.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I also have about 20 ppm nitrate in my tap water. Rural area....fertilizer runoff. While many people like to keep their nitrate level down below 40, 40 is quite fine. The nitrate ilevel n my discus tank, which is not heavily planted is always higher than 40. Just keep up with your regular water changes, maybe do 50% water change instead of 20-30%. That's how I combat the nitrate level in my tanks......I actually do 75% water changes each time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store