My molly has Fin Rot

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
Got her from the pet store, she looked perfectly fine in the bag, and the bowl to get her acclimated, then I look at her in the tank and she had a white bulging build-up at the top base of her tail, thought it was a buildup like what my black molly had had on her whole body when she was pregnant, but today I went to feed them all, and my Butterfly molly had not only given birth to like.. 50 fry overnight, but had lost the top part of her tail fin.

I GIS'd "fin rot" and its definitely fin rot.

Poor girl just goes with the current and bangs into walls and rocks now. :(

Besides her fin is HALF GONE, she seems fine, no intense breathing or anything like that...

Water Parameters are perfect for my current inhabitants:
PH - 7.2
AM - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 30-40ish

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Sorry to hear about that. Fin Rot can be tough to beat.

If you can, please send some pictures. Also, please read the sticky titled "Fish Health Diagnostics," and answer the questions listed there. You can find that at the top of the "Fresh Water Illness and Disease" forum. That really helps us to determine what is going on in the tank.

Fin Rot can be caused by two different things (as far as I know). One is a fungal infection, and the other is a bacterial infection of Columnaris. Look up pictures and symptoms for those to see which one your dealing with, because we can't know that for sure from here. Treatments for the two are different, so try to be absolutely sure about which is which.

From what you've said, the nitrate sounds a little high. The ideal amount is below 20ppm, but always try to bring it as low as possible. High levels of nitrates will stress the fish in the tank, and the more the fish are stressed, the more likely it is that they become ill. If you're going to breed the fish, below 10ppm would be preferable.

Good luck!

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
Her whole tail has fallen off... *tear*

She cannot swim or anything, she was getting caught in my filters every time I take her out of them... Wife wants to get rid of her...

I can't stand watching her just get sucked up. not being able to do anything..

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I would go ahead and put her down. You can humanely euthanize her using the clove oil method. I am going to attach a link that describes this method.

I've had to do this for a fish when all hope is lost or when there's severe suffering. This is a link to an article written by one of our members here on AC. It is in the article forum but I'm attaching the link here for you:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?148361-Euthanasia

Please believe me, this is a very valuable bit of information. The idea, itself, of euthanasia is upsetting and the thought of having to do this is stressful, but the method described here can be very gentle and stress free, especially for the unfortunate fish, and even for the sad human that must carry it out.

I am very grateful that I know how to do this and that I have the needed supples on hand, just in case I should need to do this at a time when the stores are closed and I have no options.

Clove oil is used, and it acts like an anesthesia, gently allowing the fish to slip into an unconscious state, then a lethal dose is slowly administered. The directions are very detailed in the article and you need to follow them precisely.

Pure clove oil is not expensive, it doesn't take much, and it can be purchased at a pharmacy or health food store. At the pharmacy, ask the pharmacist for eugenol; don't let an associate or store worker get "toothache remedy", which usually contains clove oil and other ingredients, you want pure clove oil and usually you get that from the pharmacist behind the counter.

Of course, it goes without saying that you never want to flush a fish that is dying; it is a slow death in a drain pipe lying in sludge and chemicals.

Please don't be offended by my mentioning that, I mean no harm or disrespect and I'm sure you would never do that, it's just that I always like to mention that in threads that are dealing with a dying fish.

My deepest sympathy to you over this sad situation. I have been there. I know it hurts to see your fish in this shape and it's very sad and distressful to be in the position you are in. I do feel it's too late to be able to save her at this point; euthanasia is the best course I feel. My thoughts will be with you today. Please keep us posted.

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
I had saw that method last night, and she is gone now..

That is a much better write up though as to what I saw, on what to do.

Thanks for the info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store