wonderful... now I have ich in the 29g!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I had to deal with my first FW ich outbreak earlier this summer with my betta Dragon; he's healed 100% from it and doing well.

now my 29g is infected, though.

the tank is planted, so medicating in the tank is NOT an option. my current stocklist is something like:
4-5 small gold pristella tetras
4-4 cherry barbs
2 harlequin rasboras
1 medium (4" long, 6" high) angel
2" or so bolivian ram
2" or so male platy

now, the only tank I have that I could use is a spare 10g. it would be very crampt, but I dont know what else I could do since I cant treat in-tank, and I have to other spare tanks, and can't go out a buy a new tank, so...

as for treatment, I was planning a 2-3 week treatment course with 3% salt and a temp of around 86.

I'm a bit concerned about the bio-filter, though. I was planning to put their old filter on the 10g with them, but I dont want to destroy the bacterial population and I'm worried the salt might do that?

while the fish stay in the QT tank, the main tank will run fallow, and from what I know/have read should be clear of ich at around week 2.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
one option I'd been contemplating- harsh as it may sound- is to euthanize the schooling fish now. they're the worst affected, and seeing as I think the angel has been picking them off at night, it would probably be kinder instead of letting the angel get them. I really wish I had a better solution, but ther's just nothing else I can think of. my parents WONT let be get any other tanks (even a rubbermaid) to treat them in, and I dont really have the room anyways.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
just keep your main tank with fish in it,raise the temp,add salt and do daily to every other day water change. for about a week or two.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
one option I'd been contemplating- harsh as it may sound- is to euthanize the schooling fish now. they're the worst affected, and seeing as I think the angel has been picking them off at night, it would probably be kinder instead of letting the angel get them. I really wish I had a better solution, but ther's just nothing else I can think of. my parents WONT let be get any other tanks (even a rubbermaid) to treat them in, and I dont really have the room anyways.
ummm yeah, no.... DONT kill the school off. she/he can save the tank, yes the angel may be picking the school off once in a while but still thats what angels natural instincts are... he/she can cure the tank with heat/salt/dail to every other day water change.....

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
as I said before, treating in tank isnt an option since this tank is full of plants.

I dont want to put down the schooling fish, in the 10g they'll probably get killed off by the angel pretty rapidly, and I just dont have anything else I can really do with them. its not as if I can return ich-infected fish to the LFS, and the 10g is pretty much a death sentence for them anyways.

that is why I am posting here- if anyone can think of anything better to do, I'm all for it.

treating in the tank is not better, because it will kill my plants. I'm worried even a few 100% water changes would still leave behind trace amounts of salt in the substrate, and kill the plants.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
plants can handle aquarium salt.. or if you dont want to ( or still worried ) just up the temp and do daily to every other day water change, like say 50% daily/every other day.. up the temp to about 84 ( as higher temp speels the ich processes )

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
everything I've read says that even small amounts of salt in the water will cause plant cells to burst and the plants to wither and then die?

also- as to daily 50% water changes and raising the temp to 84 degrees- wont the ich find other places to anchor? from what I've read the heat itself does not kill off the ich, just speeds up the life cycle?

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
yes then you do daily water changes to take OUT the ich that isnt attached to any of its host. raise of temp speeds up the cycle of ich, as well as kills off any ich that doesnt find a host within 24 hours. and no salt wont kill plants either. infact plants like ( from what i read ) salt added once in a while.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
it seems that you were right; short-term exposure to aquarium salt will wilt the plants, but they tend to bounce back fairly quickly.

I think I am going to start raising the heat and adding salt to the tank today. just have to thin out the plant mass a little bit (the plants are EVERYWHERE). hopefully two weeks with high heat and salt will clear this little problem up for me. I will be using a QT tank from now on though, I think.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store