Lemon tetra with chunk out of his back

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

texyank

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
West Grove, PA
Visit site
Did a water change this afternoon and noticed one of my Lemon tetras has a sizable chunk taken out of his back just ahead of his tail fin. I know it wasn't like that this morning as they were all swimming around together. I found one like this about two weeks ago stuck to the intake in the morning. Are they known to get agressive? I've never noted that kind of behavior before.

Just for info sake I have five Lemons, 10 cardinals, 6 otos, and 2 pitbull plecos in a planted 55 gal. I would not expect any of them to take a bite out of a Lemon tetra. Any ideas?

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
well up the lemons to 8 ( as they like a bigger school ) and see how that works? smaller school=more picked on VS bigger school=less of a chance to get picked on.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
well up the lemons to 8 ( as they like a bigger school ) and see how that works? smaller school=more picked on VS bigger school=less of a chance to get picked on.
Aside from lemon tetras being pretty much non-aggressive (they'll joust but not attack each other) I doubt increasing the size of the school would make a difference. I would have to guess that there's something with a sharper edge than expected in there. It seems that nothing in the tank is likely to actually attack anything as they're all about as peaceful as it gets. That leaves something in the decor, or someone coming in and messing with your fish when you're not around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store