L-183 attempt... Try two

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Ok, after a fatal mistake by me and my heater (see other thread) I've decided to try again with L-183's. This time I am trying two. I am hoping to go male and female (everything I've read about them says a pair does fine in a 15 gallon) but they're juvies, so your guess is as good as mine. If I don't wind up male female, one will eventually be moved to the 29, and the other will remain in the 10 as they rarely get over 4 inches. I'll then try again for a breeding group. This time more then ever I need any advice and support you can give. I'm bound and determined not to mess this up again, so any advice, suggestions, or complements are greatly appreciated. (also... To the mods, I can't access the main forum page on mobile ATM, so if somebody could move this thread to the appropriate place, it'd be greatly appreciated!)

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
make sure you get the ph where you want it before adding the pleco and let your water sit 24 hours before adding it to the tank.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I hate it when you loose your favorite fish!
Hope this time it turns out better.
My advice would be to give the pleco his/her/them their own tank, if you can. I usually have my favorite fishes in their own species tank so I don't have to mess around with other things to fit all fishes in the tank.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Thanks,
@ AAF, that's the plan. I'll treat it, gas it, then siphon it into the tank.
@ sora, that's the plan, but if I wind up with two males I'll need to separate to keep aggression down. Two females i should be ok, and male female would be perfect. Also, if it does wind up to be a male and female, I plan to switch to sand substrate and use Indian almond leaves to cover the bottom. I'm probably going to do that regardless... But I need an excuse to do it first lol. I'm also going to try and go to home depot this weekend to try and find some peat to lower the Ph.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Just gotta say, with all my plecos (L260s, L104s,L340s,L450s,L46s,L400s, L240s and red ancistrus), I never worried about the PH in my tanks. I tested it a couple of years ago, and my tap water, but that was the extent of it. Most plecos will adapt to PH. I don't even test mine anymore. Once your fish get bigger (although you can do it when they are young), you may want to switch to bare bottom tanks. All my pleco tanks are that way (except for my community tank). They are easier to keep clean, and it is easier to find fry. Good luck.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Idk... All I've heard and read about these guys is that they're not as willing to accept higher ph for long periods of time. I'd also like to eventually breed and they seem to have to be strictly black water in order for that to happen. Got message from bsmith that my fishies shipped today! :) I'm hoping Friday or Saturday arrival. I'm going to purchase the peat Saturday, and I'm also going to get some metal thingies for skewering the zucchini. I'm also thinking about doing 2 different pieces of zucchini in order to prevent competition for food... But I'm not sold on that yet. Any thoughts? (also... Still could use a mods help in moving this to the bottom dwellers section!)

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I just use veggie clip and put it toward the bottom of the tank. Holds it down nicely, and if you place the clip on one end, they'll have easy access to most of the zucchini.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Idk... All I've heard and read about these guys is that they're not as willing to accept higher ph for long periods of time. I'd also like to eventually breed and they seem to have to be strictly black water in order for that to happen. Got message from bsmith that my fishies shipped today! :) I'm hoping Friday or Saturday arrival. I'm going to purchase the peat Saturday, and I'm also going to get some metal thingies for skewering the zucchini. I'm also thinking about doing 2 different pieces of zucchini in order to prevent competition for food... But I'm not sold on that yet. Any thoughts? (also... Still could use a mods help in moving this to the bottom dwellers section!)
if you can try to get the peat before so the tank will be how you want it b4 you get them

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Yeah, that's preferable... But it's not looking likely. The earliest I have time to go is Saturday... And I don't think I trus my parents fish judgement enough to find it for me yet lol.
@ authmal, yeah, I'll see which ones cheaper. So y'all don't think they'd fight over just one piece of zucchini?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store