Help! Weird Thing Killing Fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
I have a 37g with 7 black neons and 9 neons. I had a quarter sized angelfish and a 4 inch bulldog pleco. Both of them died and got encased in some mucousy looking stuff. The stuff is also on some wood and plant decorations in the tank. It appeared shortly after i brought a new aquarium plant home from petsmart. I dont know what this creepy thing is but im not putting my hand in the water till i know what it is! please help!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Can you get a pic?

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
Ill try posting pics but i doubt they will show up. Its been in my tank for over 2 weeks now, just recently killing my fish. Its whitish with a little bit of a green tint and it has bubbles in it

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
i know that those aquatic plants that come in those tubes often use some kind of jello like substance to keep the roots moist I think. Maybe it's that stuff. I can't imagine it killing fish though.

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
Yea i know that jello stuff, i put it in there with the plant since the petsmart guy couldnt tell me if i keep it on or not. It seems to be spreading

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
the black around the yellow leafs looks to be bba.

the white fluffy, mucousy stuff is a common fungus that happens typically when you introduce a new piece of driftwood into your tank. usually to get rid of it you have to let it run it's course. veggie loving bottom dwellers love to munch on it as well, so that would explain why you've never noticed it until your pleco passed away.

the other pic i can't make out, but it looks like the bottom of a piece of wood, so i'd assume that's white fungus as well.

as to why your fish are dieing, i see nothing in what you're giving us so far. mind sharing some parameters?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
take the water crystals (jello stuff) out of the tank when you get a chance... that yellow plant too.

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
None of the plants in there are real except for an amazon sword which isnt in any of the pictures. What does BBA mean? my tank is 80 degrees. no nitrate, no nitrite, ph is 8.4. Water is in the very soft range. i have a 50g filter and a 10g filter both running in there with a bubbler as well. The neons are very healthy, very active, and dont seem to be at all affected by this fungusy stuff. The other two fish seemed to be fine when they wer alive, the next day i find them both encased in the fungus and both are obviously dead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store