I'm about to pull my hair out because of these FILTERSSSSSS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lovechevy08

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
USA
Real Name
Lolo
Ok, so I have no idea what is going on but in less than a week, four filters have gone belly up. First, my two Marineland Bio-Wheel HOB filters fizzled out when my son tripped on the powerstrip they were plugged into. They were still working, but the output was reduced to nothing more than a trickle. I tried emptying them, refilling them, changing the outlet they were plugged to, changing the water level in the aquarium...NOTHING HELPED. So I put those two away and took out the canister filters. I had gotten a couple Aquatop (once Sunsun/Perfecto) canister filters to use in emergencies like this and so I hooked them all up and they were working great. Until today. I unplugged them for todays water change and when I plugged them back in, nothing more than a trickle. It's so weak it's not even able to make it all the way up the tubing. This is really agitating and I am not about to plug more filters in just to have them ruined. If anyone knows what's going on, PLEASE HELP!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
That sounds very strange. My Penguin filters sometimes need help with priming when the power goes out, but once they are primed they work like always. I would try disassembling them, particularly paying attention to the impeller. Make sure there is no hair tangled up in them, this happens to mine sometimes.

Make sure everything is firmly in place and that there is no air leaking out of places, I had a tiny hole from the intake tube which I covered up with black duct tape...worked fine ever since.

If you pour a cup of water slowly down the back (I use a measuring cup) it helps to prime them faster. You should fill the aquarium to just under the rim, or right at the rim level. This will reduce noise and give you less splash, which is what gets hard water deposits all over your hoods and so forth.

I hope someone recognizes this problem! I am sure the filters are not really broken...pretty sure, anyway.

lovechevy08

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
USA
Real Name
Lolo
I really hope they aren't broken either...I use my hose that i use to fill the aquariums after water changes to fill the tube to the top before turning them on, so priming isn't the problem. And the fact that they all stop working properly at the same time makes me think it is an electrical problem but i just dont know???

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Does this happen with any other equipment? Sometimes places are wired funny, but if this were the case you would notice the same thing happening with other electronic devices.

lovechevy08

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
USA
Real Name
Lolo
I've never had it happen to any other filters or any electronic thing in my room for that matter. I even tried running an extension cord from another room to see if it was just my room, but it's not that. I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to go get a powerhead to supply water to the filters because the rate their running isn't gonna cut it for a tank full of goldies... do you know any good powerheads to use for something like that or would just about anything with a 1/2-3/4" output work?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
The thing is, if they are not pumping out much water, they are probably bound to eventually run dry. I would keep disassembling and reassembling them. Sometimes it helps to hang them on a bucket or tote so you can test them without having them be in an awkward place, behind your aquarium is not the most convenient location.

Before you spend money on powerheads, wait and see if anyone has any answers...you might try calling Marineland during business hours, 1-800-322-1266. You can also email them here:
http://www.marineland.com/ContactMarineland.aspx

lovechevy08

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
USA
Real Name
Lolo
Thank you so much. I'm just worried if something else will burn out too because my UV is hooked up there and that cost me an arm and a leg...i don't know what i'd do if that died

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Yeah, I know what you mean! I just don't think things can burn out partway, they either fry or they don't. I think it's something else, honestly.

If you know someone with an ohmmeter (used for checking wattage) you can verify that. These used to be kind of specialized, but more people have them as they have become much cheaper. Few people have the analog ones, digital is the norm now.

Most filters state how many watts per hour they consume, you could test yours to see if they are reading the appropriate wattage.

lovechevy08

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
USA
Real Name
Lolo
Probably a good idea. I'm sure my dad has one in his garage-full-o-stuff so I'll ask him to bring it over later. I just really can't imagine anything else it would be. And with all the aquarium stuff I have plugged in in my room, it really wouldn't surprise me. Do you think the fish will all be alright with the filters running so poorly?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
They'll probably be ok. Do you have any air pumps and airstones? These don't take up much power but they'll help with the gas exchange. You can also lower the level of the water for now, so there is more splash.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store