100 gal filtration setup???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GVT

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Gulfport, MS
Visit site
I will be ordering "stuff" for a new 100 gal in the next few days. Any ideas or advice on filtration? My wife is paying the bill!! it's a christmas thing. It will be a rocky cichlid tank and I want it to be a really good setup.

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
on my 90g i have an emperor 400 and a fluval 404. i also added a tetratech 500, that i don't trust as a main filter.

the 400 and 404 are good... the extra 500 is even better. i like massive filtration and water turnover rates. it helps keep the water clean and the maintenance down.

the minimum i would suggest would be 1 big HOB and 1 big can.

aquaclear also makes an excellent product i have been told, i just like the emperors for the spray driven bio-wheels.

edit: www.bigalsonline.com << excellent filter prices!

Last edited:

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Sand filter and a HOB type get my nod here. My 110 is filtered by a fluval 203 feeding a sand filter. I also have a fluval 103 and a hydro-sponge sponge filter. You could also power the sand filter by the use of a power head. If you use a power head you will need a pre-filter on the intake. Aqua clear quick filters work well for this. I really like sponge filters as they are all but idiot proof. They also do a huge amount of bio filtration for their size and simplicity. I am not using a HOB as there is insufficient room behind the tank.

GVT

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Gulfport, MS
Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far!! If I use 2 med. size cans how would you place the intake and returns. do you think I should still use an extra hob power, or a UV? I want extreme filtration and low main.

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
i would skip the uv personally, buy a (vortex) diatom, i think you would be happier. i am still somewhat new to the hobby but haven't entirely seen the benefits of uv unless you are keeping very expensive fish....... it just doesn't seem to "do" much, and the expensive bulbs have to be replaced regularly i was told. i could see how it would help, but to me it just isn't worth the expense.

as far as flow placement, think currents...... point it towards the glass in such a way as the return path comes back towards the inlet. some sort of circular pattern seems to work best for me.... across the top, deflect off the glass and back along the bottom.

good luck

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
GVT, no matter what type of filtration you use you will have to do maintanence. Extreme filtration is not your answer here. Reasonable filtration with a low bioload and low feeding ( not more then once a day) will lead to a minimum of upkeep. To minimize upkeep time I would skip canisters altogether. They are a real time hog and are truly useless if not maintained. I would say go HOB as they are the easiest to clean and do upkeep on. UV is not really a filter. What it does is kills any free floating organisms. It would only really help by keeping down free floating algae aka green water. ewok I do not know if you are referring to the same filter as I am thinking about when you say " buy a (vortex) diatom", as the ones I am thinking of with that name are mostly used for polishing of the water. They clog up too fast for prolonged use.

Frameshift

Cookie Monster
Oct 22, 2001
Honolulu, HI
My vote goes for two Aquaclear 500's. Cheap (right around $30), high turn over rate, easy to clean and maintain. I have two on my hundred gallon, and they keep it sparkling clean.

A little off topic, but what are the dimensions of the hundred gallon? Mine is 72 X 18 X 18, which is sort of an odd shape and I was wondering what other sizes they come in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store