VCP: Very Confused Person!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, I am now. My 40breeder has been running without any fish losses or stress systoms or anything for up along 4 months now, if not longer. The filters have been running for about 12 months. Yet, somehow, SOMEHOW, my parms aren't right. I noticed my Pearl Gouramis was sitting on the bottom of the tank, he's fine, but I was concerned. I fed them and all was well. He then went back down. My cories weren't active like they normally are, and I still can't find my bolivian ram! I also noticed a white rim on my Serpae Tetras, not sure if that's natural or a symtom. The rim looks very pretty BTW, so I'm confused about that too. But moving on, I do a parm check. Here is what came out of a 4 month old tank with 2 6-12 month old marineland penguin 350's and a slightly heavy bio-load:

Ammonia: .25-.50ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ph: 7.8

So now I have to ask some questions:

1) WTH is up with my parms? In a tank this mature they should be perfect, and I do 50% WC's twice (or even three times) a week.

2) Besides ammonia, what could be causing the white rim on the serpae tetras fins?

3) Besides ammonia, what could be causing my Pearl Gourami to hide like it was, all still and in the shadows?

4) Besides ammonia, what could cause my cories to be sleepy and sluggish (until food hit the water)?

5) When do test kits expire, because mine is 3 years old now?

6) Will the new Eheim Classic Canister 2217 be enough to rectify the parm problems and get my tank active again?

Thanks, and please do help, I'm concerned for my fish. Until I get the tank back in order and this sorted out there will be no progress made on my 75gal tank.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
You will need to look at your kit to know for sure but I believe they are good for 1 year, possibly 2. With a reset like that, I would think that the change occurred during a PWC. You need to get the ammonia down. Something caused a tank crash and it has to be something not normally in the tank. Any chance someone could have spilled something in there?

Is the tank planted?

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I believe the white trim On the fins is normal. Mine have them.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Both reagents for NH3 should last 3 years from the date given by your test's lot #

What is the complete stocking?

Was anything added recently?

How are you doing maintenance?

I'm acting under the assumption that is was originally cycled properly.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Change up their diet. That usually excites them.

The white fins are natural on serpaes.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
The tank is NOT planted. Nothing has been added since the tank was finished about 4 months ago. Maintence os checking to make sure the filters have proper flow, brushing those cursed cobwebs off the lighting (it doesn't move much), and doing 50% WC's 2-3 times weekly via siphon.

The full tank stocking is as follows:

14 neon tetras
9 assorted cories
4 serpae tetras (gonna fill out school when they go in 75gal)
3 female mollies
1 German Blue Ram
1 Bolivian Ram
1 Pearl Gouramis
1 molly fry
1 mystery snail

The only thing to change in the past few months is that I took off 2 filters because of electrical issues.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
When did your ram disappear? It's possible that this could account for the ammonia spike.
The ram was there yesterday but not today. Hopefully just hiding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store