HITH??? Please reply!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Hi guys,

So I moved my angelfish breeding pair and ABN breeding pair and red male betta into a newly setup 29G about 1 month back. All was well until last week. So, i noticed that my male angelfish had these blackish scab like things on its head, 1 of which was like an inside out bug bite with the red itchy dot sticking out...........any idea on what it is? It seems like Hole in the Head. I'll have pics up soon. And just in advance how do i treat HITH and will my male live???

Backround information

tank was instant cycled using 20G of water from 72G and a penguin 350 which was running on the 72G as extra filtration.................

all other fish look fine in ALL tanks

this is the only fish showing these markings............

the other angel(female) doesn't have HITH at all yet! crossed my fingers and neither my ABNs or betta

i have had the angels for over 6 months
and 3 spawns that i saw

it is still eating fine and active

Questions!?

does it transfer from fish to fish?
why don't my other fish show any signs?
what should i do?

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
thanks btw in advance!:)

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
That isn't HITH. HITH/LLE is characterized as pits located on head and face or along the lateral line. So get the pics up make sure you have clear close-ups.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
HITH is usually signs of bad water quality, params?

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
thanks guys, pics are uploading currently;)

and water quality is great from what i see and know from testing......
using API test kits + 25% WC every other other day and 1 50% weekly
so basically 3X 25% and 1X 50% weekly

parms

ammonia-0.0ppm
nitrites-0.0ppm
nitrates-5ppm
pH-7.2

yeah, the pH rose a tiny bit......as it usually is around 6.8ish........but i guess that was bc i ran out of catappa leaves, more arriving on fri or maybe thurs

and yeah everything else is fine............
other stats

filter
marineland penguin 350 bio-wheel up to 70G
heater
fluval 150(forgot which letter, i think E or M)
no cover
lighting
just a wall mounted ikea fixture, really nice and bright, i had 2 but 1 was mounted weirdly by me:( and fell off b4 i filled tank with water, but i'll redrill and remount it soon, once i get a cover so the plaster like stuff doesn't get in the tank and choke the fish:(

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
here are pics.......
uploading;)
then do u guys know what it could be? the pics r from sunday and today

there seem to be black lines but those r probably genetic, im just worried about the little bumps and weird hole-like things..........

what the????

so im trying to upload and it keeps giving me the exclamtion symbol!!!!

and i clikc the question mark and it says the max space is 6MB per pic!!! that is messed up,,,,,,,,,i hope it gets fixed........so no pics right now:( this sucks

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
now im even more worried bc idk if it is HITH or not bc pics won't uplaod.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Neither is true. At present it is thought to be caused by the hexamita bacteria but the transport vehicle is unknown. What is known is that frequent water changes with quality food helps with the healing. Some say it's rooted in the carbon and removal of it will cure it. I have experienced that first hand but have also seen cases where carbon was not used and still had it. What also is known is that there is a bacterial infection usually at the same time but scientists don't know which came first. The infection or the heximita bacteria.

What I have found to work is metronidazole coupled with clean water. I only bought quality foods and never cheapened out on them. So I can't say the food had any impact. There are many medications out there that as its main medicine is metronidazole. You could try sulfamethoxazole as it is anti-bacterial. Both medication "may" reset your biological bed. I personally have not had it happen but the sulfa is stronger and I have used it only once for a different problem. One medication that others have used with success is "General Cure". I have used Quick Cure but you must be extremely careful with it and may harm fish and plants. It is one medication that not only will kill the bacteria, it may also kill the fish if it is too weak.

With maintaining clean water and quality food I have not had a recurrence. So draw your own conclusions.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
thanks! I hope it isn't that...........
that helped a lot in terms of meds and in caes............

thanks a lot !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store