Tank Mates for a Sailfin Molly?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toasterburn

Registered Member
Oct 6, 2011
I haven't had an aquarium since I was a kid, but I've always loved them. I was recently given my own office at work and I thought it would be great to set up an aquarium next to my desk.

I decided on a ten gallon because it fit the dimensions of my table the best. The lady at the pet store talked me into buying a beautiful 2in male Sailfin Molly (she told me it was full grown and would do great in a ten gallon). After doing some research, I now know that they grow much larger, but now I'm attached to the little guy. I plan to keep him in the ten gallon for now and move him into a larger tank latter.

For the time being though, are their any fish that would make good tank mates for him? Maybe a school of Neons? Something that's cool with a little salt because I have 2 tbsp in the ten gallon.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
1 molly
6 neons
6 dwarf corys ( forgot the actual names )

would be a good start tell you get a bigger tank

minka-1974

AC Members
Sep 15, 2009
Surrey, England
I gues the tank is 24" long by 12" by 12"?

The above posting sounds a nice mix but I think a bigger group of tetras would work better (maybe 8) and remove the corys as they will be a bit cramped (and a smaller number wont be good for them) but maybe an apple snail or some shrimp to clean up

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
If you have really grown attached to him, get him a bigger tank, take him back to the LFS, or give him to someone with a suitable set up. Then go save a male betta from the store, and put in 6 neon tetra's with him. Makes for a pretty tank, and you'll save a betta.

toasterburn

Registered Member
Oct 6, 2011
If I had infinite reserves of money to burn on luxury items, then I would buy tanks the size of swimming pools and this thread would be about what to name my sea turtles... maybe one day...

I don't have the money to throw at a larger set-up today. Still, he's better off in my tank then the overcrowded tank at my LFS that I rescued him from. By the time he needs anything bigger, I'll have something worked out.

For now though, I'm thinking 8 neons and a snail would be good company.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
For now that would work. They do grow pretty quick, though. Ask for a larger tank for Christmas. :)

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I gues the tank is 24" long by 12" by 12"?

The above posting sounds a nice mix but I think a bigger group of tetras would work better (maybe 8) and remove the corys as they will be a bit cramped (and a smaller number wont be good for them) but maybe an apple snail or some shrimp to clean up

Enjoy :)
A 10 is typically 20 x 10 x 12 or so, but I'm more concerned with the water. I don't know it's salty enough to qualify as brackish, but I don't know how tetras will do with prolonged exposure to salt in the water. That said, being that mollies are brackish water fish, they're pretty uniquely (platies also come to mind as having this ability) situated to be acclimated to either full fresh or full salt water, as you choose. Just take your time during the acclimating process.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store