Advice? New planted kuhli & shrimp 20L tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish n chickens

AC Members
Oct 5, 2011
I'm about to set up a 20L this Saturday, and empty my 10 gallon, which has been the first tank I've had since I was a kid - fun getting back into it! The 10 has been running lightly stocked for a year now, and I'm wondering about stocking, planting, and lighting the 20L.

Currently I have 8 ghost shrimp, an apple snail, and 3 cardinal tetras, and I inherited the tank with 1 bloodfin tetra and a blackskirt (I know they like company too... anyone local want these last 2?) There are of course a few MTS & pond snails that I keep in check by feeding to the shrimp, and 6 plants too...

Here are 4 specific Qs:

1) NITROGEN: If I run BOTH the old and the new filter, transfer all the sand, 2 chunks of wood, and 6 plants, will I likely avoid N spikes? I was thinking of leaving both filters for a couple of weeks. (The new filter is an AC50; the old is an Aqua-Tech something.) Can I transfer the critters the same day? I've had no problems with my water after a very brief initial cycle.

2) KUHLIS: What I really want is kuhli loaches. I know they like sand and company... so to comfortably accommodate a bigger crew, like 6 or 8, I'm thinking of going with a smaller species. Pangio curneovirgata (link below) reach only 2" and seem like what I'm looking for. Any one have them for sale? Thoughts?

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-cuneovirgata

3) PLANTS: I like the look of a heavily planted tank (and so do the shrimp and kuhli's). I have 4 amazon swords, some new java moss, a new sprig of java fern, and some tall grass (grows 20+"). What plants would you recommend for shrimp, loaches, or other reasons? What roots well enough to sustain the kuhlis' supposed burrowing in the sand? How long should I let them take root before I introduce the kuhlis?

4) LIGHT: Should I get the T5 HE or HO? is the HO worth it? I have run a HE on the 10, and they've done OK, but the pond snails did a number at one point (I was farming snails for my science class). I would rather that the plants grew into lush cover rather than needing to be restocked every 6 months. Would an HO lead to algae problems? Do they sell more affordable HOs without the extra LEDs, actinic bulb, and disco ball? Recommendations?

Any other stocking ideas that won't eat shrimp? I might add some RCS too.

Thanks for all your help!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Theoretically you shouldn't experience any spikes but I would just plan on monitoring ammonia/nitrite and doing water changes just in case.

Most of the plants listed shouldn't need much light. I would go for a HE (NO, I'm assuming) light over HO which will probably give you just an algae farm unless you plan on going more high tech.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree with pappy, keep an eye on levels but you should be ok. As for lighting, 20g long (not liters right?) is shallow so you won't need or probably want HO. I've used a 20w fluorescent for most low to med light plants. Give the plants a few weeks head start to grow some good roots & your bacteria a chance to get caught up before adding new animals. You can also place some small rocks around the bases to keep them planted but my khulis weren't diggers. Swords will probably outgrow the tank unless you have a small type like "Tropica". I'm a fan of crypts.

Good luck finding those specific loaches. You'll probably be able to find black (oblonga) +/or striped (either kuhli or semicincta, maybe meyersi). My oblongas were more active when new & apt to dislodge shallow rooted plants.

I kept RCS with mine, never had ghosts, & they helped keep any algae under control. You may lose tiny shrimplets to the loaches or tetras but not enough to matter. You can do a thorough snail hunt/removal or an alum dip to get rid of excess before you move everything. Less food & baiting/removal works for control but not eradication, a few are no big deal to me.

Personally I'd add more cardinals rather than any more fish species. 6-8 loaches of 1 species, 8-10 tetras & your inverts would make a pretty tank. Maybe a honey gourami?

Oh, & we'd love pics you know....Welcome to AC!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've got some black kuhli's, I like them but they aren't the most active or visible fish, If I'm up early enough in the morning I seem them out and about and in the evening sometimes. They'll usually come out if I drop in some shrimp pellets as well, or durring water changes they become active. I've also seen them occasionally take a shrimp.

fish n chickens

AC Members
Oct 5, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I mean a 20 gallon long, not 20 liters. I hadn't heard of kuhli's taking shrimp, but there's another reason to wait until I find the P. curneovirgata. Fishorama, I like the idea of a bigger school of cardinals, and was thinking of that too (once I find a good home for the black skirt and bloodfin tetras).

Invert people, any suggestions if I were to add second species for shrimp? Am I just picking colors, or are some species more active? I love the ghosts because they're very active and always visible. What else would do well in this community? Thanks.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Let me know if you find any! I'd love to even see them. The problem with RCS (+ other dwarf shrimp) is the babies are smaller than brine shrimp so most fish can eat them.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I mean a 20 gallon long, not 20 liters. I hadn't heard of kuhli's taking shrimp, but there's another reason to wait until I find the P. curneovirgata. Fishorama, I like the idea of a bigger school of cardinals, and was thinking of that too (once I find a good home for the black skirt and bloodfin tetras).

Invert people, any suggestions if I were to add second species for shrimp? Am I just picking colors, or are some species more active? I love the ghosts because they're very active and always visible. What else would do well in this community? Thanks.
I was surprised myself when I saw one of my kuhli's swimming around with a shrimp in his mouth first I thought it must be dead but when I looked he was still moving. I don't think all of mine do it or else my ghosts wouldn't last so long in the tank but its a possibility, I'd always heard they wouldn't eat anything they cant fit completely in their mouth and they have small mouths.

If you want active shrimp I'd avoid filter feeders they can sit in the same spot for days. Red cherry shrimp are nice they're the same size as ghosts and pretty active as well, not to expensive in you buy a bunch(30 or so for $30 shipped) and unlike ghosts the offspring are easy to raise. If you want to raise some I'd suggest keeping a few in small species only tank, I use a 2.5g and move out the babies once they hit .75"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store