Bristlenose has fin rot!! Ammonia and Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate ~40ppm

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
While looking at my long fin blue eye baby pleco Isabella, I saw that he very tip of her left pectoral fin had a red spot, and the other fin had a faint line on the underside of her right pectoral fin, less then 1/4" long. She is eating and healthy.

I just tested the water, and the params are:
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate~ 40ppm

I just changed 15 gallons (it's a 55 gallon aquarium) yesterday (Wed). And changed 20 gallons probably on last Sunday.

It's moderately planted with lots of live plants, and I only feed once a day, frozen brine shrimp/pellets with veg for the plecos that's removed in the morning :)

The only thing different is I added a little salt (battling ich) on Wed as well, it was a total of 4tbsp at the most. The water temp is 89-90F right now, to kill the ich and has been since Tuesday prob.

No one else has any signs of rot, everyone actually seems quite happy and active,more so then yesterday, my other female bristlenose has no signs either.

Any ideas what's going on? I figured I should do a water change, but read in the book that my tap water might have had Nitrates added to it by chance?

Should I test my reg tap water as well for nitrates?

Thanks

How should I go about treating miss Izzy, I've had fin rot clear on it's own before, it's def not spread just a tiny itty bit I never would of noticed had I not had my face an inch from the glass to inspect for ich.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Yes you could test your tap for nitrates and extra clean water for the fin rot. Melafix if that dosent work.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Tested it, basically 0ppm.

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
I haven't ever experienced fin rot with the long fin plecos. What I have seen is sometimes they damage there fins by wedge themselves in tight places or bumping things. They will heal on their own. I had one bn even have 60% of the tail fin and dorsal fin missing. Don't know if the bn was beat up or it had prior damage that simply fell off. Well in three weeks it was almost normal again.

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
Well on another note i did have a male bn after spawning had all the long fins tore up. I thought he wasn't going to make up. Yup that bad. But its been a month and he did his job by raising the brood and is 100% back to normal. I even had a female bn lose half her right petoral fin due to the tight spawning cave. It was hanging there. It eventually fell of and grew back. No treatment necessary! Just your basic water changes.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store