Slate background option

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Assassynation

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
I broke down my 40B to install a slate slab background and was trying to decide what to go with.

with out ledges

with ledges

also slate ledge position may be an option

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
With ledges. Maybe even larger ones and little slate caves.

Astex

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Either way looks nice, it just depends on what the planned stock is for the tank. If you keep them, I would try to knock the edges off so they look less square and more natural.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
This is going to be siliconed onto the back, right? Not be the bottom? Sorry, dumb question....but just want to be 100% sure.

I definitely say go with no ledges...they don't look quite right to me, and I think they would make cleaning more difficult. Plus, due to gravity they may eventually fall off, leaving a bare spot in the back of the tank. Unless you are using them for a purpose, and they will be hidden by plants or something else, I say no ledges.. They won't be strong enough to hold anything up like rocks (even light ones) of course.

Personally, I would put the small tiles at the bottom (where substrate will most likely hide them) and use the two big tiles edge to edge for the more visible part of the background. The two big tiles broken up by a row of small tiles looks kind of strange.

Assassynation

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
With ledges. Maybe even larger ones and little slate caves.
thats a good idea. I'll look into it

Are they for ferns/moss to grow on?
Yeah, and fish to perch on

This is going to be siliconed onto the back, right? Not be the bottom? Sorry, dumb question....but just want to be 100% sure.

I definitely say go with no ledges...they don't look quite right to me, and I think they would make cleaning more difficult. Plus, due to gravity they may eventually fall off, leaving a bare spot in the back of the tank. Unless you are using them for a purpose, and they will be hidden by plants or something else, I say no ledges.. They won't be strong enough to hold anything up like rocks (even light ones) of course.

Personally, I would put the small tiles at the bottom (where substrate will most likely hide them) and use the two big tiles edge to edge for the more visible part of the background. The two big tiles broken up by a row of small tiles looks kind of strange.
Yes, aquarium silicone to the back of the tank. I was playing with the pattern of the slate still haven't decided on it

Great input guys, I will also start a build thread on this later :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store