Is it illegal to keep largemouth bass in Alabama?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
I searched through the illegal fish thread and didn't find anything about it for AL. I have herd it is tho.

So I was fishing in my pond yesterday and noticed my dog licking at somthing near the edge of the water. I walked over and it was a bass fry about .5" long. I picked it up and it flopped so I put it in my 10g to nurse back to health. Now before everyone starts harping on me, I know this tank is extremely to small. It's the only one set up at my place right now tho. I'm currently moving and have my 55 and 20 already moved. Also there is nothing elce in the tank with him but some snails.

I know how big these fish can get in the wild, but what about in captivity? Also I'm not planing on keeping him as I have no room in my tanks for him when he starts growing. If he makes it.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I am not aware of the laws in Alabama and wasn't able to get anything from a quick google search so might take some digging. I doubt it would be illegal unless you violated some sort of collection law.

However, you do not want to introduce any disease or parasite found in aquaria back into the native population by releasing something back where you found it.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Ok im confused. I dont know the law, but why would it be illegal for you to keep a fish that was in YOUR pond? If its your pond then its your fish right?

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
I'm not exactly sure myself. I think because it's a game fish it might be illegal.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I dont know about where you live but my uncle has a few Large mouth bass in his pond that he keeps, they are really getting big now!

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
Yea. I know my 55 isn't going to be big enough for his adult size. Im going to build a custom tank to fit the stand I built when I have time. Just gotta get the time to do it.

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
However, you do not want to introduce any disease or parasite found in aquaria back into the native population by releasing something back where you found it.
Do you think he could get a disease or parasite even tho he is the only fish in the tank. The snails in there are also from the same pond so it shouldnt get anything abnormal from them.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I don't know about AL, but in PA the issue is that there is a minimum size limit of 9" for keeping Bass. If the fish is 9" and you take it in season in an approved manner you can do what you want with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store