Sick goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
Ok, this is for my friend who has a goldfish... her fish usually swims upside down (on the back). She says the belly looks inflated and the I know that this is quite common for the goldfish, but is there a cure?
Thanks!

mack606

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
Vancouver, Canada eh
Visit site
Usually when fish swim upside down it means that they are gunna die soon. Id just save up the 30 cents and buy a new one ;) I would think that the cure would invole doing some standard water maintenance and testing.

Alicia

Hidden in the Shadows
Nov 15, 2003
DeWitt,IA
Visit site
It sounds like Bloat or Swim Bladder Disease to me. I am sorry, but I cant tell you what meds cure this right off hand. All I can say is go to your LFS and look for meds that say that they cure these problems. Also, why do you think that swimming "upside down" is normal for Goldfish? I've had Goldies for more than 4 years now and they have never swam upside down... just wanna know why you think that this is ok

Last edited:

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Usually when fish swim upside down it means that they are gunna die soon.
Bzzzt. Wrong Answer.

There are several things that can contribute to a Goldfish floating. Make sure the water is super clean- partial water changes cannot be too frequent as nitrates have been implicated as a contributing factor.

Next- feed nothing but thawed, shelled peas for three days. If that improves the situation (and it most often does) that tells you it is a food/digestion issue. In that case some dietary rearranging might be in order.

Some Goldies just float. There is surgery to repair it though most keepers just try and keep them semi-upright via food and environmental adaptation. Shallower water seems to help if it turns out to be chronic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store