Rubber lip pleco tumor?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Hello!

This is my first post, so bear with me. I have a young rubber lip pleco, Boris, who recently has had a growth appear on his dorsal fin. The growth is black and yellow and covers the tip of the fin. I bought him about 2 months ago from my lfs and he appeared healthy and happy, with normal fins. He is now about 4" and still acting normally: eating well and very active, though not in a restless or distressed way. None of my other fish are showing any signs of disease or stress. I have not added any fish since I got him but have added a few live plants.

My setup is a 46 gallon. All water parameters are normal. He has plenty of hiding places. I do weekly 10% water changes and have a 90 gal filtration system. The tank has been set up for over a year with no problems.

I have never seen anything like this. He does not act sick, but since it appeared 2 weeks ago, my boyfriend and I agree that it has very slowly gotten a little bit bigger. I have tried to find info on what it could be but havent found anything. I dont want to stress him by trying to remove him to take him to my lfs to check out if I dont have to, though I really want to know if it is contagious or not so I can isolate him and reduce the risk to my other fish. Any input would be appreciated.

I will try to post a photo once the photo manager stops giving me red circle exclamation mark sign.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Welcome, vwill279! Looking up 'growths' in my book, it sounds like you may have nailed it already. All others listed don't really fit, especially in color. Here's what it says:

Tumours: These may appear anywhere on the body. Often only one is present, sometimes more. Tumours may be the same color as surrounding tissue and sometimes black (melanoma). They vary greatly in size and shape.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Until you get a clear diagnosis and know what you are dealing with, it might be advisable to move him to a quarantine tank.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Still not letting me upload photos. Quarantined him and he seems to be doing just fine. Still no sign of anything wrong with my other fish. Quarantine tank is 10 gal, no substrate, a few caves, 20 aquaclear filter, heater. Water is cycled and parameters are normal according to my test kit. Hoping he gets better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store