cross contamination?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
right now I have confirmed ich in my 29g community and 10g goldfish holding tank; I've begun treating accordingly. added salt, upped the temperature, and plan to pick up some quickcure tomorrow or in the next few days.

I use basically the same 3 siphons and same few buckets for all my tanks (fresh and salt), however, and am wondering if I should be worried about cross contamination in doing so?

is there any way to sterilize these? just put them in a bucket of boiling water, perhaps?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I use the bleach method myself. Seems to work just fine.

If you're doing salt, you don't need QuickCure. Salt is very effective when coupled with heat. Either way you will need to treat for 14 days which is the live cycle for Ich. It should clear long before that but you need to make sure to run the full treatment as its life-cycle is like 10-12 days.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
should I just put the tubes/siphons in there?

how can I be sure NO bleach makes it back to the tank?

what is the mixture of bleach/water?

can I use the same mixture for nets?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I use a 19:1 ratio - - 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. I use this mixture for everything including to clear plants of hitchhikers. Plants are left in only 2 min and then thoroughly rinsed.

I leave my nets in the mix and then rinse well before using. The siphon I run the solution thru it, rinse well and then place in a manner that it can drip dry thoroughly until next use (a week later). If you ever worry about the effects of bleach, consider that the dilution is very weak and you can run a little Prime or other brand dechlorinator mixed with water to give you peace of mind. I don't worry since I allow it to dry a week.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I hang all my equipment in sunlight for a day after use (only use clear hose), this keeps it from stinking in storage and provides relatively effective sterilization.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store