angelfish died?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
so today, in my quarentine, my angelfish died. before i get a new one from a better place, id like to know why. im thinking stress but here are the symptoms i saw; nipped fins from the store, staying at the top, and not eating. any ideas before i go to my local pet store and get a new one? no more petco for me and quarentine period is bumped up to 2 weeks instead of 1 so i can make sure nobody else dies.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
quarantine should be a month long. one week or two is not long enough to see some diseases become visible.

you mention the angel was hanging out at the top of the tank. what is your quarantine setup like (tank size, filtration, etc). what were the parameters for ammonia and nitrite in the qt tank? is this tank cycled?

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
It's hard to say without knowing more. Water parameters? How long have you had it? Has it always stayed at the top?

edit: BettaMom beat me to it! ;)

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
10 gallon 2 cycled tetra internal filters rated up to 10 gallons 10 gallon heater bare bottom no decor the angelfish started hanging at top yesterday and i found it dead this morning. i had only had it since wednesday so 2 days. i need quick answers bc i found a beautiful gold long fin angel and they can only hold it for 24 hours.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
10 gallon 2 cycled tetra internal filters rated up to 10 gallons 10 gallon heater bare bottom no decor the angelfish started hanging at top yesterday and i found it dead this morning. i had only had it since wednesday so 2 days. i need quick answers bc i found a beautiful gold long fin angel and they can only hold it for 24 hours. i havent tested params yet.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
the real question is, from the symptoms the angel had could the disease be contagious? i think it was stress. she had been nipped and nipped and then she had a long ride home and then she was put into unfamiliar surrouindings. i really need a quick answer bc im in a couple of hours i plan on getting a new angel. ill keep all the fish in quarentine for a month though.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
that angel could have just been stressed and weakened stock.

you can bleach the tank and all non-porous accessories, then rinse many many times and run the tank without media in the filters with a hefty dose of Prime to neutralize any residual bleach. afterwards, take healthy and mature media from filters on another tank and add it in to the two internal filters.

you mentioned the angel was at the surface, maybe there wasn't enough oxygen. if your internal filters are set low in the tank, raise them up so that the outflow breaks the water surface well.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
is there any disease or parasite this resembles? i think it is stress and week stock. i just really love this angelfish. i think ill just have to setup a second quarentine. i have the room, the tank, and the heater, and the filter so i should be good.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
If you are going to buy from a pet store, ask them to feed them first so you can watch them eat. If an angel doesn't just attack the food I would not buy it. It was probably stressed and the stress lowers their immune system which can open them up to all kinds of problems. When I raised angels if they stopped eating I used levimasole (pig wormer) and that usually perked them right up. There are internal parasites that all angels have normally but stress can cause them to multiply and cause problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store