What is wrong with me ?!?!?!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
I am actually considering buying some fish from . . . . . WALLY WORLD! I was in there today and wanted to see the new fish wall they installed last month (brand new setup). Much to my surprise they have some really pretty, healthy blue goramis. I have been considering getting a couple of them to eat the hydra that show up because I feed one of my tanks live baby brine shrimp. I have a 10 gallon with CPDs in it right now that will be empty tomorrow and it has hydra already in it. I am actually going to go to WALLY WORLD tomorrow evening and buy two blue goramis - I still can't believe it. They will be in the QT tank for a LONG time but they look and act really healthy - I was/am shocked.

I have to chuckle - I have sold my hatchery and now I am buying fish from WW - what is this world coming to?? :screwy:

Just thought I would share - still shaking my head! :huh:

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
If they invested the money/resources (shelf space) for a fish area chances are they will keep it in good shape, at least for awhile or as long as the current manager is there. And the newness of it is a good sign as it hasn't had time to go to pot with disinterested or ignorant employees tending it. This is a definite bucking of a trend as every Wallies I have seen or heard about in recent years is getting rid of the live fish and selling just equipment. And not very much of it in the case of my nearest store. :(

You want the blues, they have the blues? Get the blues. Now if you had been overcome by a display of angelfish this would be a matter of serious concern, such that we would need to call all your relatives to pay you a visit at the same time and have a Talk with you about the issue. :)

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey Lab - you are right but don't tell my prior customers. I told them NEVER mix wally fish in with my fish unless they want a bunch of ill/dead fish. Now I am gonna have to sneak in, grab two (maybe 3) and sneak out - may have to wear a disguise.

Xan - no angels - I would have to have my head examined then!! But I do think the "new" is a positive - it has only been running for a couple of weeks so probably still on their first shipment of fish. I have a big batch of CPD's going out tomorrow (my last of them) and that will empty out the 10 gal. they are in for a QT for the blues - I'm actually excited to get them, it will be something very different from my past endeavors.

Hey Bob - no doc yet!! At least after raising thousands of angels (along with quite a few ABN, guppies, CPD's and cories) I feel pretty good about my judgement on their health. I just want to get them quickly before something happens!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Never heard of Wally World before.... weird that they could have been so big and completely unknown to me. Anyone got a link to their website?

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
There probly so healthy because they are fresh from the hatchery. If you want healthy fish from walmart, you need to find out when they get there shipments in and go the day they get them. From my experience, they will get progressively worse (health wise) over time. The longer they are there.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009

Sindorei

Apteronotus albifrons
Oct 10, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Sheila
Some Wal-marts are good, others are bad. Mine is good but that's because I'm the only one in my Wal-mart who knows anything about fish and they make me clean/feed/order them. Even the department manager comes to me. :) But I have been to other Wal-marts where their tanks are horrible. There really isn't anything wrong with most of the fish, as they come from the same place that supplies fish to my local petco as well. It's just the people taking care of them.

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
In 2009 my closest walmart had a major die off of nearly all their tropical fish. :*(
They finally put the handful of survivors in with the goldfish.
There was one lone blue gourami that I watched for weeks....
She looked so sad and out of place.
I kept expecting her to be dead when I came in next to see her or at least to look ill.... but she didn't.
I finally bought her.
She's doing great. :)

btw, how does one safely net a full grown gourami? I don't want to damger her tentacles/antenae/feeler things, and I need to transfer her soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store