how long for ich to die off without fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
just to check; I'm moving a piece of driftwood covered in java fern from my 29g with ich (which I am currently treating) to a 40g which I am planning to put through a fishless cycle...

the 40g will remain fallow for a minimum of 4 weeks (I'm assuming the cycle will take at least that long). temp in that tank will probably hover around 76, but I'm going to try to get it up a little higher.

by then, all ich should have died off, right?

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
ok, that's what I thought, thanks!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
it's temperature dependent

remember it's pretty much the free swimming protozoa that we treat .. in the cyst stage(trophant) the ich is generally not treatable..it is burrowed under the skin of the host.
it then goes into the tomont stage where it breaks out and falls to the bottom of the tank where it divides.
then the theront stage where it breaks out and looks for a host, usually only living for hours(up to 48)
the question then becomes.. how long does the tomont/theront stages lasts which is the one we believe is affected by the tank tmeperatures.

but if you leave it fallow for 4 weeks at 76f you should be safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store