NO ICH!!!!!!!! :D...and I want a "pet" fish for 75 gallon :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Please forgive me for posting this as it's own thread, but my battle with ich is officially over! (well almost) Upon looking at all my synos, I have discovered that NONE have ich anymore, everyone is officially ICH FREE!!! :dance:

I have turned the temp down from 90F to 88F, will keep it there for a few more days and then bring down to 80F by Sunday :) Along with daily 10 gallon water changes, just to remove everything. I am so happy right now!! My plants haven't liked this high heat, so hopefully they perk up with the temp going back down.

But YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now that I've shared my elated joy, I have a question.

For my birthday/christmas present/anniversary my boyfriend is getting me a 75 gallon aquarium (me...I mean HE decided that a 55 was too small..lol). I want to put more "pet" like fish in it, fish that will recognize me and are like puppies but in a fish tank, and here are my 4 possible options, let me know your thoughts please?

1. A single oscar- from what I've read on oscarfishlovers site, a 75 gallon for 1 would be okay :)
2. Blood parrots- With this option, I'd move my 6 syno petricola from the 55 gallon, along with my 3 blue gouramis (2f 1 male, they do the most chasing, even though my gold female is the largest, that way I don't have 5 of the tri. spc in the 55 gallon) and have 2 blood parrots. Aqadvisor said this is okay
3. 1 blood parrot and 1 oscar, aq said this was okay, but I'm doubtful.. I know you'd want a larger bp and tiny oscar from what I've read about this combo
4. Any other fish you know of that have the "pet" quality?

For Decor- Sand and driftwood, live plants for option 2, fake plants for option 1,3, and 4
This is gonna be my last tank, now that I've have the fish I always wanted (1-gouramis, 2- synos, 3- oscar/blood parrot/some sort of large pet cichlid) so I want to put a lot of though into it and make sure it will be a good set up.

Thanks!!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Don't get a EBJD, they're a waste of time, money and effort. Almost all of them will die once they reach 3", it's not worth it.

Jack Dempseys and Green Terrors are larger cichlids with lots of personality. If you want more than 2 fish with some personality, then you should look into smaller cichlids like cutteri, honduran red points, convicts, ect.

I'm not sure if you're set on getting cichlids or not, but goldfish and loaches can be very personable and would work in a 75. (Weather loaches and a fancy goldfish or two would be sweet)

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
As for plants, most will be uprooted. In my 55 gallon JD tank I have pool filter sand substrate with a nice fake piece of driftwood. I attached anubias to the driftwood and it's been left alone so far. You'll have the best luck with plants like anubias or java fern, where you can attach them to decor.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I vote oscar, or goldfish. goldfish do seem to bond somewhat to their keepers- at least my little guy has. plus, with goldfish, you could keep a fairly large group of fancies with different colors/variations- 5-6, maybe 7?

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
My vote is for oscar. Best personality in a fish I have ever kept.
That's what I've read :) No one get mad at me please, but in a 75 gal can you keep any other fish with 1 oscar?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I would go with just a lone Oscar in a 75. You could put things in if you replace the Oscar with a Jack Dempsey or a Green Terror IMO, and they can be just as friendly.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Oscar and an armored plec. Just get the plec at a larger size when the O is a baby. I'm having good luck keeping a nasty tempered adult male BN with my sub-adult jag so far. Just make sure that whatever tankmates you go with will not fit into the mouth of a full grown O.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store