am I crazy (goldfish with tropicals)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
before you answer, PLEASE, PLEASE READ THE EXPLANATION FIRST!!!

so right now I have a small (1") rescued fantail in a 10g bare unfiltered tank which I have been controlling ammonia in with 50% daily water changes. he has ich.

I have a 29g planted tank with various tropicals which also has ich.

they are being treated the same way (heat around 82- high as I could get it in either tank- and salt).

I was thinking about getting a breeder net and putting it in the tropical tank and putting the goldfish in that while I treat for ich?

I can't figure out any way this could be bad for any of them, since temp, amount of salt, and PH is the same in either tank. the breeder net would mean that incompatibility in tempernment isnt a problem, and it would stop ammonia from being a problem since the 29g is cycled.

am I insane?

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Well even though the tank is cycled I heard that goldfish secrete something that is bad for freshwater fish, not to mention that goldfish are very wasteful fish. But if you do enough water changes I don't really see why it would be a big problem.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I do plan to be doing daily water changes siphoning out the gravel. and yes, goldfish are fairly messy, but I figure its a fairly lightly stocked, planted, cycled tank with very frequent water changes.

I'd never heard of them secreting something harmful to other fish- but it is common practice to keep goldies with bristle nose plecos, ottos, and dojo loahces (amongst goldfish keepers, at least), so?

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Loaches yes, plecos more or less, ottos... No, but in this situation it'd work. I doubt there'd be any behavioral problems so I wouldn't even bother with the breeding net. And I don't think there is a secretion emitted by goldfish that would kill tropicals...

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
well, at least, a goldfish board I belong to condones bristlenose plecos as safe tankmates; maybe I am making up the ottos part, now that I think on it. oops.

the breeder net is more for the saftey of my plants than anything else, and I have a young angel who can get really nasty whenever she sees me, so I'd rather keep him separate from them.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
they are. in treating ich, however, both goldfish and tropicals go through the same elevated heat/salt treatment. so as of now, both the tropical tank and goldfish tank have the same params, except that the goldfish's tank has no filter (unexpected addition and didnt have an extra cycled filter) and so has ammonia in the water.

I'm gonna pick up a net breeder tomorrow and put the lil goldfish in with the tropicals; I can't think of anything that would make this ill advised, and it doesnt seem like anyone else is coming up with ideas as to how it could be harmful!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I think putting him in a breeder net is going to do more harm than good really because he will be confined amongst a full tank. If the goldfish is small, I would say it's ok for the treatment and is much better than keeping him in an unfiltered tank but do take caution because goldfish are large bio-producers.

The issue with them secreting something harmful, I've never heard of that but I would guess that it would have something to do with the hormones they produce. They grow fairly quickly, producing a lot of hormones to the water, as well as adding a lot of waste to the tank which will entail a step up in the water changing of your filtered tank. Even though you say your tank is cycled, adding a goldfish will add a lot to the chemistry of the tank, possibly throwing the tank into a min-cycle. Just something to be careful for.

As far as the otto's and the goldfish, aside from them having different needs long term as far as temp, my guess again would be that they are not good tankmates with the goldfish because as the goldfish grows, so does it's appetite. If the goldie can fit it (smaller fish, debris, gravel, anything) in it's mouth, it will try. That said, I would imagine that a goldfish may try to snack on an otto if given the chance and the goldfish is big enough. I am not sure if ottos have the same spring action that cories have but if they do, once swallowed (or tried), their fins sprinbg open and become lodged in the fish's throat.... often causing the demise of both of them. On the other hand, ottos are pretty quick so could avoid this easily however, ottos may try to attach to the weak goldfish to suck on their slime coat, causing further infections. Short term, this may not be a problem though. I think what your bigger issue is that you need to get a filter for the goldies tank and get it cycled. You can do this by sharing the existing mulm from your established tank into the new filter.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
the 10g is temporary; I have a 40g fishless cycling upstairs for him.

forgive me, but I dont understand your description of how the breeder net would be harmful?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
the confined space may be stressful for him.... the higher the stress, the harder it is to fight off infections. Also, because they are high waste producers, it may be impossible to keep the breeder clean enough for him. Even though a breeder net/trap is in the main tank and can allow airflow, it's not ideal and the water flow isn't sufficient enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store