My 10g stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
So...i just got back from the pet store with a bunch of new fish, my 10g now has
10 cardinal tetras
1 lrg male beta
1 adult dwarf gourami
1 black khuli loach
5 sterbai cories
3 male guppys

JK So funny story. I've spent all day working on staining up my wife's new tank stand for her 20L and I'd let it dry for the last 6 hours and since it felt all nice and firm figured i'd drop the tank on the stand...funny thing was this...the stain was still a little fumy and me...being tired...and stupid...put the air pump onto the wood...suction down.
So i'm hauling all my gear back out to the shop and i hear a panicked wife calling, run inside and all of the fish are blanched out and rolling around looking nearly dead. I immediately got the python and a standard siphon out and started a continuous fill/drain...double dosed with prime and started netting fish. As soon as they touched water in my 10gs they all regained color and started grubbing for food. So I've changed out the water completely at this point on the 20, re-dosed prime and i'm gonna see how things are going in the morning as far as getting everybody back into their appropriate homes. (and don't worry i'll do WCs first thing)

10g #1 has:
1 adult dwarf gourami (permanent resident)
10 card tets
1 beta male (in floating fry/breeding/quarantine thing)
1 loner khuli loach (permanent resident)

10g #2 has:
1 adult female beta (permanent resident)
3 LF albino danios (permanent resident)
5 sterbai corys

anybody done this before? any tips on getting non-chlorine chemical toxins out of a tank? (i.e. wood stain)

Last edited:

Danny-O

How do I change my user title?
Mar 4, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.howmanyfish.com
Now there's a fish keeping story you don't hear every day. Your fish were huffing! I need to remember this when I remodel.

Anyway, seems like a water change and maybe a day or two wait would be sufficient. Those fumes are so volatile (which is what got you into trouble in the first place) that I doubt they'd stick in the tank long. I'd also use fresh charcoal in the filter, I think, too, for good measure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store