Cleaning a 90 that eveaporated down 1/2 over time

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

simkotim

Registered Member
Oct 10, 2011
I got this tank from my neglectful brother who had abandoned it in his basement. Emptied it & moved it to my place, ughh. I probably should have looked in to the cleaning aspect before hauling in to my house. Oh well. I haven't had fish in over 20 years. I used to have 3 45's with Tanganyikans. Loved to watch them breed.
How do I rid the inside top of the calcium build up, and what appears to be hard water stains on the walls? Can I avoid chemicals? I can't think of a way to properly rinse it out if I do. Thanks,
Tim
P.S. I live outside of Chicago and I went to a couple of shops there that had a variety of Tanganyikans. I can't remember where they were!! Maybe they're gone. Any thoughts?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Distilled white vinegar. I use it straight up for the really dirty tanks but you can cut it if desired.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I've also heard that vinegar does the trick. You mix it with water, maybe run a powerhead or something to make sure there's a current, then drain the tank and give it a few good rinses. (FMU)

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
Hoffman Estates has aquarium adventure and they sell Tanganyika Cichlids. They have a bolingbrook location with pretty much the same stock. Rainbow fish in Schaumburg specializes in Cichlids, I mostly see Mbuna's but they can get you a lot of different fish especially cichlids. They are really healthy fish at Rainbow, I have never had a sick fish from that place. They drive to indiana to get there stock so it's not a mass shipping type event like all the other fish stores.

But if I were you I would just check out local breeders. You can be sure the health and quality of breeders stock. We have a great resource in Chicagoland with the Greater Chicago Cichlid Association.

You can find there classifieds here, they even have a Tanganyikan Section. They have swap meets during the winter months.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
I've also heard that vinegar does the trick. You mix it with water, maybe run a powerhead or something to make sure there's a current, then drain the tank and give it a few good rinses. (FMU)
:laugh: it's not a coffee pot, dude. you don't fill it with vinegar. you use the vinegar like a dish full of soap with your choice of sponge, green pad, etc.. (dip... scrub... dip... scrub... repeat)

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
i use glass stove top cleaner for my worst water spots, its incredibly effective and available at most grocery stores.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
oxi clean

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
If it's really bad you can use vinegar-soaked paper towels. They'll stick to the glass for a few hours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store