Bubbles...a whole lot of them.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
Mike "Captain America" Houston
I just recently started new my 75 gal tank and it was running beautifully but for the past two days I have been getting a lot of bubbles on top of my water. It covers up the whole top of the tank. I've never had this happen before. Is this something I should be worried about?

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
What kind of bubbles, like soap bubbles, or like slimey bubbles. Bubbles are normal in a new tank just because of all the air trapped on everything. But usually they go away when they hit the surface unless they are mixing with something to create like a film. You don't happen to have any gourami's or bettas in the tanks do you? Because they make bubble nests.

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
They are like soap bubbles but they float on the top of the water. And no Gorami's or Betas. Would the water conditioner create this film?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
could be your source water..

minerals in the water can cause this...

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
Is there anything I could do to stop this? Water change? Skimmer?

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Not sure what to tell you, but I am interested to see what people say. I had the SAME exact thing on my 10 when I began cycling it recently. Lots and lots of bubbles. I'm onto week 3 and sill have some, but not covering the top completely like it was before. Worried me too...

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
What water conditioner are you using?
Not uncommon for new tanks to have a biofilm develop on the surface especially if there is little surface movement. Another possibility is new substrate/sand.
Water changes, good surface movement and filter carbon should take care of it.

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
@Slappy I used Top Fin water conditioner, and I have plenty of surface movement I'm running one Penguin 350 bio wheel and another Penguin 150 bio wheel. They have those inserts with the mesh and the carbon rocks in them. I did use black sand for the first time in this tank. Could that be the culprit? and should I do a water change?

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Haha no way, I used black sand for the first time in mine too! Sorry random coincidences amuse me

koldsoup

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Real Name
Kevin
Does it look like this?

I had this when I first started cycling but it cleared up after a few weeks. I was scared something was wrong but the members here assured me that it was normal and indeed, it cleared up over time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store