what to do with 40g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
so having lost my little rescue goldfish, I have a spare 40g and no plans as for how to fill it! goldfish are still an option, but I'd like to explore some other ideas before I commit to anything 100%.

tank is a 40g breeder- 36" by 18" by 16"- so really is 45 gallons. filtration is from two penguin biowheel filters- a 200 and a 350.

all I know that will for sure be in the tank are 2 piece of driftwood, one of which has a bunch of java ferns on it. lighting is a 2 bulb 24" T5HO which I'm planning to elevate off the top to make the spread a little wider; lighting should be upper low to lower medium.

so, for stocking, I don't really want a typical cookie cutter community with a bunch of random fish. I want a tank that is going to make people go "whoa!" when they see it. I'm not quite sure how I'd like to achieve that, yet, but I'm thinking. the only thing I've thought of that I like are angels- some may say 16" is to shallow, I would disagree.

pretty much, what would you do with this tank if you had it? (its still fishless cycling so I have a lot of time)

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
Eels will make people go "whoa"... lol LFS has like 5 FW Snow Flake Eels!

But really, I would do something fun, I have been debating between a Ram breeding tank, or a Yellow Lab tank..

Cichlids are ALWAYS a talk starter...

Niko2021

AC Members
Oct 11, 2011
A tank that would look really nice, and I know I'm pushing the space and bio-load on this one, but an african cichlid tank might work. Probably a few electric yellow and blues, with volcanic/stone type rock structures in it. My friend did that with a 55g, although with more fish, a wet/dry sump, etc, but it looked amazing. And I agree that community tanks are just boring! If you want an exciting tank, either a cichlid, or one of my favorites, and very difficult, a discus tank.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
allaboutfish;2700377and some orange laser corys. oh and a really rare awesome pleco.[/QUOTE said:
Are you reading my mind or something?!
I think you should keep at least one of your zebra plecs and use that as the bottom centerpiece. Then do the orange laser cories and for the top an angel or so. Fill it out with a betta (not your average betta... I'm talkin aquabid ;)) and some sort of rare flashy schooler. Only do two types of schooler and up the numbers to encourage schooling, and top it off with a ram pair.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I'm not crazy about plecos. IMO they produce more waste than they're worth. plus, they dont do much. they just kinda rasp on wood and glass and stuff.

I'm sort of looking for something more plant-y than african cichlids; I have a reef tank of the same size in the same room with this 40g, so I was kinda hoping to go for an opposite kind of tank. either lots of driftwood, or lots of plants.

I would love discus, but I think they may be too much to handle in terms of water changes- once I got to college water changes will fall to my parents, and I dont think they're gonna want to deal 50% water changes every week. if they would be willing to keep up on water changes, I may just go with 4 adult discus; there is little more stunning than a planted discus tank, I must admit.

right now I'm thinking maybe a group of angels (4-5), some rams (probably a pair), some larger tetras (one or two schools; black skirt and/or serpae, probably), and maybe a gourami or two (pearls, probably) with plants, plants, and plants galore.

if anybody has any other ideas, though, please share!!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
also, I should have added; I dont have a great deal of money to spend on livestock, so super rare fish aren't exactly something that would be easy for me to get; my parents are funding this tank, as they fund all my others, so that has to be taken into account.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
How about some x-ray tetras with cories, and then Rams/Gourami's as a centerpiece? This is what I'm doing with my 55, community tanks can look great and still be cheap if you stick to one school per level with a nice centerpiece.

A weather loach tank would be cool, they are DEFINITELY conversation starters. They will get along with goldfish too, they will uproot any plants in there though.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
also, I should have added; I dont have a great deal of money to spend on livestock, so super rare fish aren't exactly something that would be easy for me to get; my parents are funding this tank, as they fund all my others, so that has to be taken into account.
dont do serpaes or black skirts theyre a little nippy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store