Can I rehabilitate my Betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ghpr1957

AC Members
Sep 28, 2011
Fairdale, KY
OK. I just got back into aquariums after being out of the hobby for about 30 years. I have a 29 gallon tank, moderately planted, and the first fish I got was a male Betta. Well, needless to say he was in his glory, enjoying the 29gl of swimming space after being on the shelf in a pint size container. The next fish to enjoy my tank were 14 neons, which he left alone for the most part, occasionally chasing one if it got to near him. Then I got a dwarf gourami and Mr. Betta started chasing this poor thing all the time. So I went out and got a second dwarf gourami, thinking the buddy system would work out to help them both. Well, I was wrong. Mr. Betta now enjoyed chasing both gouramis around, keeping them at separate sides of the tank. So I finally put him in a small tupperwear container that I can float in my tank. I feel terrible about it, and I now realize that he should have been one of the last fish to put into the tank. Then he might not have become such a bully. But when I was into aquariums in my younger years, I always had a male Betta in my community tank and very had a problem like this. I tried to let him back into the tank and he immediately started on the gouramis, this time actually head butting one of them repeatedly. I had to put him back into his tupperwear cell.

Is there any way he can be rehabilitated? Or should I just look for some other living quarters for him? He's really gorgeous and he added such color to my tank, but I can't have him hurting my other fish like that. Specially the Dwarfs.

I'm open to any suggestions!
Thanks,
Ghpr1957 :)

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
As a general rule you don't want to house bettas and gouramis together although some people have had success. I had a betta in with three dwarf gouramis one time and everything was fine for a week and then suddenly the gouramis beat him up pretty bad(this was in a heavily planted 55gal). My betta developed ick, I got that healed and then he developed fin rot and died. So for me personally I won't do it again, it's not worth the risk of losing such beautiful fish. So I would recommend finding some different accommodations for him. But that's just my $.02

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I'd find different accomodations for him, my wife has one in her 20g that just decided to try and kill off its livestock (the tank did, not the betta) so I've got him in a QT container riding in my qourami tank, my gourami doesn't seem to care that he's there but boy oh boy has that betta ever been trying to kill him. I'm actually worried that the betta is gonna stress himself to death just trying to display to the gourami and the gourami has simply given up all of his blue coloration (the betta is blue) and is trying to show the betta that he's actually a red fish and completely different.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Very few bettas are compatible with other labyrinth fish. Get the betta a new home.

Ghpr1957

AC Members
Sep 28, 2011
Fairdale, KY
I would like to thank all three of the above members for replying to my post. I'm in agreement with all 3 of you and I will be finding a different accommodations for him.
Take care!
Ghpr1957 :)

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I read this imagining in my head to find a fish addicted to smoking or alcohol which amused me somewhat. I have always wanted a betta but doubt I would be able to get another tank so soon..... only time will tell though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store