10 gallon stocking :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
ok i am new to actually stocking tanks this small.... i am used to bigger tanks lol. so any ideas? i was thinking maybe a female betta or 3, 6 neon tetras and 4 guppys ( 1 male 3 female ) so what you all think? i want to work on planting this tank!

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
This is kind of my general list for a ten gallon:
1 betta
6 small tetras or rasboras
2-3 African dwarf frogs
6 pygmy cories
6 clown loaches (haha gotcha! jk, jk, jk)

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
This is kind of my general list for a ten gallon:
1 betta
6 small tetras or rasboras
2-3 African dwarf frogs
6 pygmy cories
6 clown loaches (haha gotcha! jk, jk, jk)
i personally think thats a little overstocked with the frogs. but thats jmo

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I would go with....

6 neon tetras, 5 pygmy cories, and one betta

OR

4 guppies/other 3in or less livebearer

OR

5 glass/ghost catfish.

Ghost catfish need to be kept in a species only tank, planted but with areas and periods of low light. They are a low-light fish, and are very, very, VERY timid in most cases. In high light tanks they will generally hide until lights out. The NEED schools, without them they will waste away from not eating. Neons *may* be a tank mate, but I would doubt it.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
What about RCS? I love mine, and they love each other!!! LOL.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Your stocking idea is good, but may be a bit overstocked. Maybe 1 betta and the tetras (and 4 corys if you want a bottom feeder) or betta and guppies. My first 10 I had 1 male betta, 2 platys, and 3 otos. My new 10 that I'm cycling now will have 4 endlers, 10 RCS shrimp, and 5 amano shrimp (gonna be an invert tank). I know you weren't asking for my stock, but I figured it may help you decide...

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
reading about others 10 gallon, i may have to go with a shrimp tank! just dont know what specie of shrimp i should do though! hmm. RCS? any other shrimp?

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
8 cherry shrimp and 8 endlers? hmm i think that sounds good? lightly stocked but yet i can let the cherry frys grow out! ( if the endlers wont eat them? )

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
The endlers would probably get the fry, but the full grown ones would be safe. If you do that... I'd go with 4-5 endlers rather then 8,

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I would go with....

6 neon tetras, 5 pygmy cories, and one betta

OR

4 guppies/other 3in or less livebearer

OR

5 glass/ghost catfish.

Ghost catfish need to be kept in a species only tank, planted but with areas and periods of low light. They are a low-light fish, and are very, very, VERY timid in most cases. In high light tanks they will generally hide until lights out. The NEED schools, without them they will waste away from not eating. Neons *may* be a tank mate, but I would doubt it.
I've had glass cats in with all kinds of fish(tetras, bettas, livebarers) and they did just fine, definitely need to have multiple of this fish for them to be happy. If I were stocking this tank I would consider a couple of pea puffers. They'd be a great little fish if you wanted personality but you wanted to stay away from the norm betta. A RCS does sound nice but instead of endlers I'd get a red guppies. I think it would look pretty awesome with all red animals green plants and black sand,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store