Mono Argentus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So I have a mono Argentus in my 55 tropical community tank... Before I catch all the criticism about its a brackish fish I now know, but I didnt know then and the LFS said that itd be fine in fresh (didnt know any better and its a stunning fish!). So I got it and put it in as my centerpiece fish instead of an angel fish and hes done great in the two months or so I have had him (he has grown an inch or so, very active, very peaceful with my other fish some of which are small, eats really really well, great colors etc). Now I really hate keeping a fish in an environment that isnt 100% ideal for them it really bothers me... I thought about setting up a second tank for JUST him but I read another post on here that they really need a huge tank and the 55 is my largest tank and I dont have the room for another one bigger (got 55, 2x 10gal, and a 4gal biorb lol) So I am at a loss at what to do. I want to keep him but what I am most concerned about is him not having the appropriate swimming room, even over being in the fresh vs brackish he is just so fast and swims back and forth against the back of my tank alot when hes not eating or begging for food whenever I walk by.. Ideas?
CIMG0378.jpg

CIMG0378.jpg

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Sounds like you already know what you need to do...if you can't provide an appropriate habitat for him, find someone/someplace who can. Maybe find a LFS that actually sells BW fish and keeps them in BW?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
No place around here does... only two places sell them and not often, pet supermarket and a locally owned pet shop Pet bazzar but both are kept in fresh only.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Sounds like you already know what you need to do...if you can't provide an appropriate habitat for him, find someone/someplace who can. Maybe find a LFS that actually sells BW fish and keeps them in BW?
Aren't many brackish species able to be acclimated to brackish, salt, and fresh water? I know nerites, mollies, and platies can, and apparently so can mono.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Yes many mixed reviews and I am hopeful that he will stay happy and healthy. My water parameters are perfect which will help and he will certainly be fine for a solid year or two as a juvi and there have been many accounts of people keeping them in fresh for 10-15 years happy and healthy so there is hope! I just dont like to chance stuff. Maybe by the time hes older ill have another tank lol

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
On the contrary....monos are one of the several brackish fish that start off in low brackish and transition to higher brackish or full marine as adults. They are also shoaling fish, so would be more comfortable in a group. You are also looking at an adult size of 8-12", so a pretty good sized tank for a group of them.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
On the contrary....monos are one of the several brackish fish that start off in low brackish and transition to higher brackish or full marine as adults. They are also shoaling fish, so would be more comfortable in a group. You are also looking at an adult size of 8-12", so a pretty good sized tank for a group of them.
I see. Good information. Thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store