Injured Tiger Barb

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I had 3 tiger barbs in my 20 gal tank with 1 long finned rosy barb and 3 small bala sharks. Up until about 2-3 wweeks ago they co-existed quite peacefully and one day 2 of the tiger barbs had nipped one tiger barb's dorsal and tail fin almost to the base(there was a white spike protruding from the front of his dorsal fin). I immediatly put my bala sharks in my 75 gallon(I hadn't put them in there yet because the tank was, and is, still cycling) and began medicating with melafix, aquarium salt and frequent water changes. He didn't seem to get better until I bought him a breeder container about 4 days ago to keep the other fish from picking on him and I added 2 small green tiger barbs to help with the aggression. I'm just now starting to see that his dorsal fin is growing back, but his tail fin doesn't seem to have grown back at all. So my question is, Is there anything else that I could be doing to help the recovery? I'll post picks when I get home in a few hours

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
The best treatment is fresh, clean water. You could add an antibiotic to the water if it appears to be irritated. Tiger barbs are notorious fin-nippers. The do better in large schools of at least 6-8 and preferably more. Bala sharks need schools of 6 and a lot of open swimming area. Healthy ones rarely stop swimming. They are very high-strung, nervous type fish and do not do as well in smaller shoals. That doesn't mean you can't keep less, it's just not a good idea. (Mine liked to school with my Silver Dollars!)

As far as will the caudal an dorsal grow back, it depends on how damaged it was. It might, but don't be surprised if it doesn't.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Yeah I read that, but I am currently trying to find a new home for the bala sharks( I didn't know they were going to grow so large when I first bought them) but I'm more suprised that the rosy barb has remained completely intact . His dorsal looks like it will make a good recovery and I guess ill just have to hope for the best for the other fin x.x thanks for the info excuzzzeme

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store