preparing PVC pipe for the aquarium and how to fix a filter.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ok so im going to add some PVC pipe to my quarentine and wont to know how to clean it. also it has blue wrighting on it, is that ok? also i have an aquatech 5-15 that when i was moving my 5 gallon i removed the filter and never turned it off and when i put it on the tank it was like if you pushed the intake down you couldnt hear the impeller but when it was higher you could hear it but the filter wouldnt work so how do i fiix this?

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Is it new from the store? If so, I don't wash them, just run them under hot water and then into the tank.
If it's used, best not to add it ever.

Turn filter off, take out impeller and clean it and the hole it goes into. Also make sure everything is put together right and makes full contact where the tube meets the impeller.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
its something wrong with the impeller bc i even put in another aquatech 5-15 intake into that one and it worked. whats the best way to clean the impeller and make it work?

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
PVC pipe can be cleaned with paint thinner, turpentine, or any other serious solvent cleaner. Then clean any residue with soap and water. Some pipe lettering will clean up with Propanol, but not rubbing alcohol.

If you want to paint it, use Krylon Fusion paint and let it cure for a week. The Fusion part of the name is accurate. After a week the color is part of the plastic.

Impellers and impeller wells clean up nicely with an old tooth brush. Normally you pull the impeller assembly out of the filter to clean it. A single hair that finds its way onto the impeller can stop it up. Too much algae can stop it up. A bit of gravel can stop it or cause a lot of noise.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
you could silicone some gravel to it to both make it sink and look a little better as a cave.

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
"PVC pipe can be cleaned with paint thinner, turpentine, or any other serious solvent cleaner. Then clean any residue with soap and water. Some pipe lettering will clean up with Propanol, but not rubbing alcohol.'

I would not use any of these on things going in my tank because of toxicity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store