I need an I.D. on this wrasse please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
So while I was fishing the other day I caught this wrasse off of a rock wall out of the Tampa, Florida area (gulf of mexico). When I first caught it I thought it was a lunar wrasse but when I came home and started looking up pictures it doesn't quite match up with a lunar wrasse. I've tried looking up all wrasse's native to the gulf of mexico and the only thing that came close was a puddingface wrasse but it's still not an exact match. It's stressed out in the pictures because I moved it from 15 gallon to my 40 breeder for now but when it's not stressed the stripes aren't so noticeable.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Halichoeres bivittatus ? Looks similar to some of the pictures for it, but then it has quite a range of looks so maybe not.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks guys, I agree with the H. bivittatus, definitely no shrimp in the tank since that's what I caught it with.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
he'd prolly eat the hermits too

diannef

Registered Member
Oct 16, 2011
Looks exactly like a juvenile Hawaiian Christmas wrasse! It is my fave fish in the world so am very familiar. Impossible though since you found it in Florida. Google the whole phrase and you'll see a pic that looks exactly like yours.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I thought that too but don't you think the head and mouth are a little off?

Also, I wouldn't put it past someone to release non-native species into Florida waters. Unforunately it happens all the time here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store