Transfering to a 75 from a 55 gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Hello guys I am getting a 75gal nice setup off Craigslist and am going to transfer the entire content of my 55gal into the 75gal. (gravel, fish, filter+the used media in it, plants, decor etc). Is there anything to watch out for when transferring? I dont want to cause any necessary stress to my fish I just want a nice easy move. (gonna put them in a few 5 gal buckets as I move and I plant to keep most of the water from my 55 and put it into the 75.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Yea thats what im worried about... some of my fish arnt super hardy and I dont want anything to die... is there any preventative measures to take? Im hoping to get the whole 55 gallong+used filter media+used gravel+plants into the new aquarium (hopefully on all the water everyting else will obvi fit idk if ill have enough space to store the water while I drain). So ill essentially be adding 20g of water to my old tank... using this method are there any other steps I can take to prevent any dangerous spikes?

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Just keep the filter media and decor etc wet. don't let it dry out. You also don't need to worry about the old water. You won't see a difference with fresh water as long as you have the same bio load and transfer everything else from the old tank.

the wizard

Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
What filter/s are on the 55? A 75 gallon tank has a wider rim than a 55, smaller hob's won't fit.
Good point, I didn't think about that.

You may need a different filter for the 75, but you can still add the media from your old filter to keep the cycle stable.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
The filter I am using now is actually too big for the 55gal tank... it displaces my hood on top its so large its for a bigger tank but I got it with the tank. On the 75 however I will be running dual filters, one that comes with the tank and the filter from my current tank (unknown filter type but LFS said rated for a 75gal, takes 4 large carbon pads) so the filter fitting wont be a problem, I just was concerned about anything else I wasnt thinking of that could potentially harm my fish

the wizard

Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Then you should be good to go. :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store